Mozilla fireBird Thread.

Originally posted by dealer
Are you really that petty that you can't just leave a thread about Mozilla alone? We were perfectly happy discussing FireBird and the nightlies etc, so why ruin it?

petty is the word you use for someone that doesn't agree with you speedy?

hmmm

yes

I'm so petty, I don't want users to be given as facts ideas that are opinions

sorry

We WERE discussing the nightlies and the bugs or lack of and features of these nighties. So were do you come off saying that we were speaking un truths?

Have you used Firebird or downloaded any nightlies to see if they have bugs, new features or lack of features to critisize what the thread was about?

Originally posted by dealer
petty is the word you use for someone that doesn't agree with you speedy?

No, that would be "opinionated" everyone is entitled to an opinion. But you don't HAVE to share it at every oportunity.
I don't understand why you can't see that, to simply ignore the FireBird thread would have been SO easy. As I said before, if you (or anyone else) made a thread for the discussion of Internet Explorer, or even Opera, I would not comment, because I would have nothing positive or relative to say.
It's just a simple case of letting things go.

gonaads,..yogi... you worry me :p

Ya know, it's strange that I just went through the whole thread and found nothing wrong except the very first post by the member that started the thread that said he liked Mozilla/Firebird better than IE and that to him it was faster.

And the the small ribbing we started about IE to humor the thread toward the end... that's when you Dealer entered the thread and started to lash out at the thread for having false facts in it.

Show me if you are so knowledgable with Mozilla/Firebird what that was discussed about the features of the browser and bugs and nightly builds and tabs and side-bars and, etc... that was so false.

Please... I just want them pointed out. And not the fun ribbing but actual hard factual erronious postings

I need to go home and eat and then get back on-line and nag you two some more. :p

I'm out...

BUT I'LL BE BACK :D

Ok, bleh I say,, you hear? BLEH.

Would anyone object to this:
I'd like to split the "Mozilla: FireBird" thread, putting the IE debating related off-cuts into their own thread either in Apps or the Lounge (apps/lounge?? title? moz v's ie?) and then re-open the FB thread.

That way we can have an "official" debate thread (which I wont participate in, but I will read and mod it) and a discussion thread for the users.

Does that seem fair?

if you split the thread, I will of course correct information on any thread that is making opinions look like facts...it doesn''t matter to me that it;s a pro anything thread, I'm there

speedy, get over your insecurity with the mozilla browser

now, I'm gonna try the version that gonaads sent to me

it might well Be better then ie by now...I'm expecting it is...if it is, I'll be happy to say so

if it's not, I'll post my results wherever false opinions are stated as facts

you can also post your results speedy...you think mo is faster then ie, but you say you can't prove it in benchmarks

interesting you didn't say you you didn't care about benchmarkst till I entered the thread saying I would benchmark to test the claims made on the thread

all the while you were stating as a fact that the mo was the faster browser...even though all it was was your opinion

so if I see that mo is faster, I will say it speedy

if I see that mo is now opening more pages then ie I wil say that

if mo opens fewer pages then ie, that wil be told

if mo slows my 512mbs of memory down for the extra resources it uses, that will of course be told

period

and by the way

in the past when I tested Phoenix, it did in fact match ie speed, as I have posted numerous times.

I never noticed it slow my computer down otherwise either

the reason back then I didn't stick with it was that it couldn't open too many pages

so by now I'm expecting it to surpass the INTERNET explorer which has not been improved while Phoenix has

but as a fact, I will correct misinformation as I always have if I see it

you don't go for that, I'm wondering why

but that's a thread in itself

and gonaads, because evweryone was saying how much faster mo was, I went in there and said to everybody that I would have to give the browser another shot after reading all of the raves

speedy answered my post saying he didn't want me to do it...and that he would close any debate...ha

ha I say

pretty pert that was too

I addressed speedys post, and retired from the thread, but you guys kept asking me back...

you know I can't resisit

anyway, I'll test the browser

speedy, as far as this/

No, that would be "opinionated" everyone is entitled to an opinion. But you don't HAVE to share it at every oportunity.
I don't understand why you can't see that,

as I always say, if an opinion is stated as if it's a fact, I will correct it for what it is, an opinion

true

so no again to anyone that wants to have a cheerleading thread without counter opinions

if I see a thread that has missinformation, I'll correct it

got the bird

so far it's slower, easily, on never before visited links in side by side

of course it was slower then on my ie cached pages...that will hopefully chage...also, much more crude then ie as I type

I'll stay with it, see if it speeds up

last time I remember enabling pipelining

someone tell me how to do this, that seemed to get the speed up last time

right now this isa real dog...it hasn't timed faster on anything I've clicked, and it seems to need more page executions

this amy be due to my cached hosts file

I'll delete that from my internet explorer, and see if the bird beats ie then...not tonight though, I still want to get this in a slow connection, and compare that also...this is a pretty good dsl, so I'm surprised there is a measureable differance

sorry mo fans..this does't seem any better then it was yet...but as I say, I'll stay with it for at least a few days...I'm hoping it opes more pages then it used to open...I'll see

anyone have any tweaks to get the speed up for me, I'd appreciate it

Perris: What exactly do you characterize as "fast?" What is your basis for stating that Firebird is slower than IE? Using a physical timing device like a stopwatch is totally useless as it's prone to human error.

Here are two JavaScript benchmarks that I ran on IE and Firebird.
Cache/history/cookies were all cleared in both browsers prior to testing. Each browser was run independently of the other.
My results prove that Firebird is, in fact, the faster browser.

The first test is the Clymer-DeBellis Javascript Benchmark located at:
http://members.nuvox.net/~on.jwclymer/bench.html

Attached is a screenshot of the results:

attachment.php

The second series of tests, BenchJS, are located at:
http://www.24fun.com/downloadcenter/benchjs/benchjs.html

The smaller the number, the better.

According to the site, the average results of all tests conducted by several users are:
Internet Explorer - 35.55 seconds
Netscape Navigator (Gecko) - 35.16 seconds
Opera - 42.51 seconds

I wanted to test for myself. So again, cache/cookies/history were cleared, and both browsers were restarted.

Firebird wins again.
Screenshot attached:

attachment.php

Oooooooooooo :eek:

My man NetRyder

Pullin out da heavy artillary, bada bing! :D

But really it boils down to preference... plain and simple.

Human A likes/luvs IE

Human B likes/luvs Mozilla/Firebird

IE is faster but Human B luvs Mozilla/Firebird anyway and defends it to da death... bla bla bla

Mozilla/Firebird is faster but Human A luvs IE anyway and defends it to da death... bla bla bla

Soooooooooo... who is rite? Who gives a SHit. Use yer browser, help people use it, comment in threads that pertain to it a give tech advise if you have good advise to give. THAT'S ALL. Simple

But there will always be a pissing match. :(

Perris:
And remember something - I'm not stuffing my opinion down anyone's throat. I would never have taken the time to go through these benchmarks if you hadn't made undocumented statements about IE being the faster browser. I personally don't care what browser you or anyone else uses. I'm not a Gecko evangelist. I use it because I feel it's a better browser for my needs - as both an end-user and a web developer.

The point is, you really had no reason to make opinionated comments in a thread that was mainly discussing Firebird nightly builds, and questions pertaining to the same. Every thread dealing with an IE problem doesn't turn into a zillion page long epic argument about which browser is better.

Just like SPeedY, I completely ignore any threads pertaining to browsers such as Opera, simply because I don't use them, and I cannot offer or contribute anything useful to these threads.

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
Would anyone object to this:
I'd like to split the "Mozilla: FireBird" thread, putting the IE debating related off-cuts into their own thread either in Apps or the Lounge (apps/lounge?? title? moz v's ie?) and then re-open the FB thread.

That way we can have an "official" debate thread (which I wont participate in, but I will read and mod it) and a discussion thread for the users.

Does that seem fair?

Sounds good. :)
Since you closed the thread, I'll let you do it when you get back online.

The old AOL internal browser was the best ever made! Go Sharks!

net ryder, your psot is excellant, and I'll get those results also...

as far as splitting the thread, I said before if doesn;t amtter if the thread is split, if someone makes a fact of theri incorrect opinion, I'll point our the opinion

go ahead and split it if you want, but it won't resolve speedys issue with wanting to close a thread if I point out my findings

I will point out my findings no matter that the thread is split, so I don't see the purpose

ok

gonna try those speed tests you linked to

be back

well, right out the start, no, ie clearly does not beat ther mo

screeny is the very first run...no cahching, no dns, nothin

now I'll get an over all average

it looks like every test on my box, the mhz is faster with pheonix then the ie

but no on the next site

from the very link you provided netryder, here is the proof for the nt kernal
ie results

TopFive Windows/NT, Internet Explorer
1 Gary Browne, Explorer 6x, Windows XP, 2GHz or higher 2.95 seconds, Aug 17, at 12:51:02

2 Gary Browne, Explorer 6x, Windows XP, 2GHz or higher 2.97 seconds, Aug 29, at 23:29:15

3 noname, Explorer 5x, Windows 2000, 99 MHz or lower 4.31 seconds, Aug 20, at 16:18:01

4 reno, Explorer 6x, Windows 2000, 1.80 - 1.89GHz 4.33 seconds, Aug 26, at 14:05:33

5 bapsack, Explorer 5x, Windows 2000, 2GHz or higher 4.6 seconds, Aug 25, at 12:08:38

now the netscape

TopFive Windows/NT, Netscape Navigator
1 t, Netscape 6x, Windows 2000, 2GHz or higher 4.36 seconds, Aug 18, at 13:59:17

2 noname, Netscape 6x, Windows XP, 2GHz or higher 5.35 seconds, Sept 4, at 00:46:04

3 dee, Netscape 6x, Windows 2000, 1.60 - 1.69GHz 5.89 seconds, Aug 25, at 08:15:13

4 noname, Netscape 6x, Windows 2000, 1.80 - 1.89GHz 6.73 seconds, Aug 18, at 17:09:04

5 noname, Netscape 6x, Windows 2000, 1.00 - 1.09GHz 7.58 seconds, Aug 19, at 04:09:03

and opera

TopFive Windows/NT, Opera
1 ShannoW, Opera, Windows XP, 2GHz or higher 3.97 seconds, Sept 3, at 12:26:10

2 ShannoW, Opera, Windows XP, 2GHz or higher 4.06 seconds, Sept 3, at 12:24:48

3 noname, Opera, Windows 2000, 2GHz or higher 4.14 seconds, Aug 18, at 17:47:12

4 xtc, Opera, Windows XP, 1.50 - 1.59GHz 4.37 seconds, Aug 21, at 05:45:37

5 OPERAAAAA, Opera, Windows XP, 1.50 - 1.59GHz 4.53 seconds, Aug 27, at 08:49:06

so on this site, internet explorer is the clear favorite on the nt kernal and my personal experience is demonstrated with these stats

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back