Mozilla compile using Visual C++

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by Xie, May 12, 2004.

1. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Ok so being the geek that I am I want to build my own version of the latest Mozilla (seamonkey). So I'm looking over the directions on mozilla.org and see that for best results it suggest using "Microsoft Visual C++". Alright so I hope on over to Microsofts Visual C++ site and have a look around. On the site I see a download for the "Visual C++ Toolkit 2003".

Ok so my question to anyone in the know is, would this allow me to compile mozilla following the directions on there site?

2. Xie

I guess I'm the only one interested in such things eh?

3. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

4. Xie

haha took you long enough :p

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I know it's possible using the commercial version of Visual Studio or Visual C++.

I think it might work with the free toolkit as well, considering the fact that the toolkit includes the same compiler and the linker that's used by Visual Studio .NET
    The Mozilla site mentions that you basically need just the compiler and linker (not the IDE) to build from source, so as I said...it should work, though I'm not sure.

I was interested in doing this a while ago with Firebird, but I decided it wasn't really worth it. When you have a fast connection and a fast machine, the performance boost you get by creating your own optimized build is very small, if at all. Besides, you can find optimized builds for almost any processor on the MozillaZine forums, so recompiling seems like re-inventing the wheel, in a sense.
    But if you're doing it just to try something new, it's a different case. Give it a shot with the toolkit. There's not much you can lose by trying, I guess.

6. Xie

Trying it right now ... so far I found that need need the "platform sdk" that wasn't listed on mozilla site ;)

7. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Hrm,

cd /usr/ports/www/firefox
    make all install CFLAGS=-O3 -funroll-loops

8. NetRyder

Umm...if he's using Visual, I'm assuming he's using Windows, no? [​IMG]

9. ignipotentis

ignipotentis OSNN Addict

HAHAHAH ... yeah, no FreeBSD X!

If your compiling on windows, I'd recomend installing cygwin and getting the gcc compiler kit. It's much cheaper. Visual C++ is a full development suite. You already have the code, so all you need is the compiler.

10. X-Istence

or just download dev-c++, it includes GCC.

and isnt cygwin just Linux on Windows? Or are all the compiled programs Windows compatible?

11. X-Istence

Im just pointing out that its that easy if he would just run an OS that isnt as full of holes as Windows.

12. Xie

Yeah I know compile is so much easier on *nix then on windows. :( *nix is designed with the ability to compile your own programs (OS even) and windows is not thus all the trouble. Wish I could compile for my win box on my Linux box :)

13. NetRyder

I get your point about it being easier to compile software on *nix, but how in the world do security holes come into the picture now?
    Seems like it's the only thing *nix junkies can pick on nowadays. [​IMG]

14. Xie

Oh and for the record "Visual C++ Toolkit 2003" is FREE ;)

15. X-Istence

Nah, i can come up with a lot more. but its my most favorite considering sasser and all those other worms that continually hit my router.

I can pick up on DLL hell, drive ****ups, big install sizes, large memory requirements and whatnot.

16. NetRyder

@Xie: Any progress?

Yet none of them have anything to do with the original question.

17. Xie

Well I havn't been home and its been like non-stop thunderstorms when I have been so no. :(