Moving from a 1.5T to a 150G HD question

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi all,

Since I keep all my files on servers, my Windows 7 machine has a 1.5Terabyte drive with approx 40 gigs onto. I purchased a 150gig velociraptor HD. I would like to image my current setup onto the new drive. Someone told that I can't because I obviously can't fit 1500gigs onto a 150gig drive.

What options do I have? What do I need to do? How do I need to do it?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

I have used a program called partition magic in the past, but I dont think it is supported any longer. With it, you could reduce/increase the size of a partition without data loss.

There might be something like that out there.

I have heard gparted is now usable, it is open source, but use at your own risk

If your 1.5TB drive only has 40gb used and the Velociraptor is 140GB then you can do it. A program like Acronis True Image can copy the data and adjust the partition size accordingly.

Awesome, AM.

Would you think that Norton Ghost Version 12 can do the same? I have access to a copy of Ghost from IT @ work, for this one time thing.

Heeter

Yes it will work.

Imaging or copying goes by how much space is in use not how big the drive is.

You could even do this with the drive tools from the manufacturer of the drive.

Western digital has tool s for this too?

I will have to go locate this tool.

Thanks a million, AZ.

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back