[Movie Review] To Kill a Mockingbird

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Sports' started by Sazar, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Between Austin and Tampa
    First off, this is an old movie and may not appeal to everyone. I happened to watch it again after a very long break and it brought back so many memories.

This is a classic movie about a trial of a black man accused of raping a white woman in the depression-era south where segregation was still rife and this is brutally evident in the entire movie.

The black man, Tom Robinson, played very ably by Brock Peters (from one of the star trek movies I think) is defended by Gregory Peck's character, Atticus Finch.

Peck plays one of the more profound roles in movie history in my opinion, fighting against prejudices and stigma's not only in the court room, but also in his personal life and trying to instill his values in his children (one of whom partly narates portions of the story).

The court room scenes are what define this movie, especially when the final verdict is handed out and the segregated black members of the community rise in unison in respect for the one white man who stood up for one of their own. This scene has the same kind of impact as the scene in Spartacus when everyone steps forward and says "my name is Spartacus", very simple and very powerful.

A fabulous movie that really contrasts the majority of the tripe that hollywood labels as "movies" today, I certainly recommend this to everyone.

4/5 Osnn stars.
  2. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

Houston, Texas
    its a classic for a reason still a good watch.
  3. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

Thta is a very young Robert Duvall as Boo Radley. Great Movie, even better book.
  4. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Birmingham, UK
    You're so right there!
  5. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

The film was really good but the book is better and is one of the best books I have ever read
    Did you know that To Kill a Mockingbird was the only novel Harper Lee ever had published and that she's a descendant of Robert E. Lee. ? :D
  6. Son Goku

Son Goku No lover of dogma

I don't think I had seen this one. But from everyone's description it sounds like perhaps I should give it a look. I presume it's been out on DVD for rental, and otherwise...
  7. tom9042

tom9042 OSNN Senior Addict Folding Team

New Jersey
    I agreee with everyone. Great movie and book. Should be 5/5 OSNN stars!
  8. ~bk

~bk I Political User

Saw it in English class last year. Great movie. :)
  9. joyojoy

joyojoy Not all there...

Sacramento Area
    An absolute must-see. When I was a kid, the scene with the mad dog gave me nightmares. (Thank God they didn't have shows like Ghost in a Shell when I was a kid!!!!)