[Movie Review] The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Sports' started by Petros, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Petros

Petros Thief IV

The movie is out today in the U.S., and I'm excited. I've read all the books twice, and seen the ads for the movie lately. I know gonaads must be a big fan :) Has anyone seen it that has read the book? How does it compare? If you haven't read the book, how was it as a movie?

2. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I am going to read the book after I watch the movie. My significant other is reading the book and should be done by the time I watch the movie :)

3. Petros

Petros Thief IV

The book will make you laugh pretty hard if you like dry, intellectual humor. The funniest things happen and get played out in the most deadpan ways.

4. onimkron

onimkron OSNN Senior Addict

I absolutely loved the books, the dark humour was really unexpected back then..if I knew it was going to be that dry, the idea of it might have stopped me from picking it up, so I'm really glad I didn't find out beforehand :)

I'm hoping to see the movie tomorrow. From the trailers, it does seem like a decent movie, but I'm not sure about the cast of characters they used...just seems slightly different from what I've expected from the radio plays and short series. Still, not going to stop me from watching it :)

5. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

The books are incredible to say the least. The humor is not what most people would really grasp as their style of humor, but like onimkron said if ya don't know goin into the book then it's all good cause ya won't be able to put it down. :D

I'm hoping for Saturday or Sunday ta see it. I got the feeling it's gonna be hella crowded.

6. delta4s

delta4s BLACK HAWK ALOFT

The book was really good :)

7. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

You can't beat the original tv version,I remember watching it when it was first broadcast :D

8. Petros

Petros Thief IV

I still haven't seen the TV show, but I loved the computer game. I expect to see people putting the ROM and emulator up soon, because I can't remember where to find it.

9. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Just seen it, very british humour, alot of slapstick.. good stuff.

10. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Looks interesting for sure. I havn't read the book(s) though. :( I'm not sure which I'll do first as I've no idea when I'll see the movie and I have access to the books anytime.

*Edit* - Seems like you British folk got it good with stuff like this. BBC seems to run alot of this type of stuff, the US has nothing similiar. :(

11. gonaads

Weeeeeeeeeeee!!! What a crazy ride :p Just got back from seeing it about an hour ago. Man I luved it. And yes true Brit type humor. Good shiit. Oh... ummmmm, beware the mice. :rolleyes: And bring your towel... and don't sneeze to much. :p

Well... so long, and thanks for all the fish. :D

12. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

Saw it the other day and loved it. Personaly I think its very true to the source materials

13. gonaads

Oooh yeah it is. The movie theater I went to had a great crowd. :D

14. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

It had its moments. They obviously changed some things around and the movie as a standalone, while funny, is not the greatest product.

That said it was a decent attempt.

Gonna wait for others to watch it before adding more comments.

3.5/5 OSNN Stars.

15. gonaads

16. Hsn

Hsn King

Don't worry dude, I haven't either. But this morning I was browsing the BBC news website and found an article which pretty much gave you the background information you needed to know prior to seeing this movie. Here is the link to the article:

A guide to the Hitchiker's Guide

Source: BBC

Later in the article...

Quite funny I think. :p

17. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Someone come up with something while under the influence? No way :p :eek:

18. gonaads

Yes way... :D

It's the only way :p

19. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

I watched the TV program version ages ago and I think they did a really good job of the feature film version. The casting choices I think were spot on and I was really pleased by the original Marvin the Robot cameo appearance as well.

20. Petros

Petros Thief IV