[Movie Review] Lady in the Water

Sazar

Rest In Peace
Review pending, too tired to post it right now :(

Place-holder reminder for tomorrow.

-edit-

Posted review below, editing first post with it too.

Lady in the water is, for lack of a better term, a story.

That's not the end all/be all of its essence but thats what it is.

It is not a gimmicky horror movie or some kind of cliched sci-fi flick or something else that we have come to expect from the run-of-the-mill hollywood crap that we routinely witness.

There are many characters in this story and each character seems to have a distinguishing characteristic. You will grow to learn more about these characters layers as the movie progresses but they are all integral in one way or another.

What I loved about the movie was the pacing and the manner in which the story unfolded. Again, each scene was framed perfectly and while I could have lived with a character or two fewer, the acting by these invididuals was excellent. For once, we don't have yound stars stealing the show, although there is a child. The star of this movie is Giametti and what a star he is.

There is a scene near the end where the entire range of his emotions can be seen and we learn why it is a travesty that he was robbed of an Oscar for his portrayal is Sideways, the quintissential wine drinking movie.

The music is a beautiful accompaniment to the goings-on in the movie and lend a lot to the atmosphere. Notice the contrasts between the night-time settings and the day-time settings. Shyamalan's play with the bright/dark contrasts worked well in the Village and does so here in Lady in the Water as well.

Also, the story is not overtly cliched, in fact there are scenes which will cause you to laugh out loud at the ludicrous nature of the majority of hollywood movies treatment of certain scenes. It's almost like film-making 101 and it rocks :D

M Night Shyamalan has a large role in this movie, far bigger than in the Signs where I thought he did an exceptional job. He is not quite as good here, but, he shows that he does have good acting range.

This movie is recommended for the story lovers here. It has various elements of horrow/fantasy/sci-fi/misc. but it is not one or the other type of movie. That is where it distinguishes itself. It is a simple story with interesting characters. Thats where it won me over.

4/5 OSNN stars.

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't realize it was released. Just browsed around a bit, and noticed that it's not getting very good reviews. Let us know what you think tomorrow. :)

I can't care less about the reviews of his movies.

Half the retards who watch it go in there expecting things and are pissed off when he doesn't deliver what they want him to deliver. That's not being a critic, thats being a tosser who doesn't know squat but pretends to peddle their opinion as fact.

I've liked every single one of his movies primarily because they are DIFFERENT from the norm. Signs was probably the most commercial of his movies, but he his dialogue and the way each shot is framed or the way a character is developed, these things are almost unique. Unbreakable was my favorite of his movies. I have learnt long ago not to go in with ridiculous expectations.

If those expectant viewers describes any of the readers here, don't bother wasting your time watching this movie, you'll be disappointed because you have already set yourself up for failure.

Btw Net, on IMDB the movie started off at about a 3.5 rating, it is inching towards 7 now because people who have actually seen the movie are now voting in greater numbers.

I've liked his movies too, which is why I'm looking for more reviews from regular people rather than critics. :)

i liked every one of his movies with the exception of the end of the village im sorry it sucked. but i am looking forward to this movie

I thought unbreakable was the best. Or at least I really like it, but I have'nt been dissappointed with any of his movies.

Lady in the water is, for lack of a better term, a story.

That's not the end all/be all of its essence but thats what it is.

It is not a gimmicky horror movie or some kind of cliched sci-fi flick or something else that we have come to expect from the run-of-the-mill hollywood crap that we routinely witness.

There are many characters in this story and each character seems to have a distinguishing characteristic. You will grow to learn more about these characters layers as the movie progresses but they are all integral in one way or another.

What I loved about the movie was the pacing and the manner in which the story unfolded. Again, each scene was framed perfectly and while I could have lived with a character or two fewer, the acting by these invididuals was excellent. For once, we don't have yound stars stealing the show, although there is a child. The star of this movie is Giametti and what a star he is.

There is a scene near the end where the entire range of his emotions can be seen and we learn why it is a travesty that he was robbed of an Oscar for his portrayal is Sideways, the quintissential wine drinking movie.

The music is a beautiful accompaniment to the goings-on in the movie and lend a lot to the atmosphere. Notice the contrasts between the night-time settings and the day-time settings. Shyamalan's play with the bright/dark contrasts worked well in the Village and does so here in Lady in the Water as well.

Also, the story is not overtly cliched, in fact there are scenes which will cause you to laugh out loud at the ludicrous nature of the majority of hollywood movies treatment of certain scenes. It's almost like film-making 101 and it rocks :D

M Night Shyamalan has a large role in this movie, far bigger than in the Signs where I thought he did an exceptional job. He is not quite as good here, but, he shows that he does have good acting range.

This movie is recommended for the story lovers here. It has various elements of horrow/fantasy/sci-fi/misc. but it is not one or the other type of movie. That is where it distinguishes itself. It is a simple story with interesting characters. Thats where it won me over.

4/5 OSNN stars.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back