[Movie Review] Anchorman

MC82

Procrastinator
I went to see a free screening of Anchorman today. All I can say is that thank god it was a FREE screening, because the movie was really disappointing. I know that Will Farrell has starred in a lot of entertaining movies like Elf and Old School. But truthfully, Anchorman was just annoying. The jokes were not all that funny.

I admit that there were some good jokes and skits in the movie that made me laugh. But there really wasn’t too many. Many of the jokes were just… for a lack of a better word, corny. Of course there were people who were laughing at every little bit of the movie, and I think its either because they just feel like making noise or they are deprived and think everything about Will Farrell is just hilarious (they were laughing when the DreamWorks intro started).

Once again there was no real plot to the movie. IF there was a plot, I must have missed it. Not a good sign. Basically, the movie is about how a woman became a news anchor when back in the days, women were not accepted in that position.

For those of you who are Will Farrell fans, prepared to be disappointed. I know a lot of you have been wanting to see this movie, and my best advise to you is to wait till blockbuster gets it to watch it, because it is not worth the $10 you will be spending at the theater.

3/5

EDIT: changed to reflect a 5 point scale

I can't wait to see Anchorman. I don't know your humor MC82, so I'm just gonna have to decide for myself. :) I laugh just at the sight of Will Ferrell, and I consider him one of a few that can pull off those kinds of jokes that might be considered "corny." Mike Myers is another person who can also do it. So anyway, I'm hoping for the best!

On a different note, don't we use a 5-point scale? :p

hahaha 5 point scale, 10 point scale, same thing.

lol sorry forgot it was a 5 point scale.

Yeah I wanna see this flick still myself .. but please don't put the un-funny Mike Myers in the same catagory as Will Farrell. :(

I'm not saying that Ferrell and Myers do the same type of comedy, but I think they can both make things funny that wouldn't normally be. I'm thinking of Wayne's World in particular for Myers. Actually, they are both very good at playing exaggerated characters. Wayne's World and Austin Powers for Myers, and Anchorman, Elf and Zoolander for Ferrell. Not everyone likes Austin Powers... I didn't the first time I saw it. But it's hard not to like Wayne's World.

Farrell was in Zoolander? Well, I guess Farrell's part in Anchorman was like normal, i guess the whole plot was what threw me off. I dont know, when you see it, i would love to hear your comments

I saw Anchorman tonight, and I haven't laughed that hard in a while. My face was nearly hurting when I walked out of the theater from laughing and smiling so much. For me, I went into the movie knowing that I was going to enjoy it... and I did. The plot is ridiculous, the story is nothing special, and the relationships are shallow; but in a movie like Anchorman, these things don't matter because they are only there to drive the absurd dialogue and acting. The dialogue that Ferrell wrote was SNL-quality if not better, and his acting (along with that of his co-anchors) was hilarious.

If you love Will Ferrell's work - you'll love this movie
If you sometimes like his work - you might like it
If you hate Will Ferrell - why would you see it? :p

For what it is - 5/5 OSNN Stars

By the way, Will Ferrell was Mugatu in Zoolander. :)

well I guess you liked it, haha, im glad. I just didnt see what it as that funny... but i like the last joke about the bush advisor!

oh he was mugatu! haha i c.

I love Will Ferrell, and I love Mike Myers. So I need to see this movie!

P.S. How could you not like Austin Powers!?

I don't know Will Ferrel or Farrel (you lost me...) and because of that name issue, I couldn't help thinking about Colin Farrel (and no doubt about it, it's Farrel and not Ferrel ;) )

OK, went and saw this tonight. It was hillarious :D At least I didn't spray my drink on anyone with all the laughter; which would have been a tad uncomfortable had I. :) It's fricken hot out here, had an Icee...

I won't mention any of the jokes, as there is no spoiler warning or anything...but go see if you want to laugh your head off :)

We should start listing some of the one-liners using this...

SUPER-DUPER!

I never seen the movie but i want to really bad. This is a line from a preview unno if it is right so correct me if i am wrong.
"I am not a baby! I am a man! An Anchorman"]

I went to watch the movie last night with a few friends and my significant other :)

had heard the reviews and what not but this comedy exceeded all my expectations :D

I didn't think it would be possible to get much better than dodgeball in terms of pure goofery and laughs but this was a different case :D

the laughs are present in large quantities throughout the movie and it really does make for side-splitting fare :)

I am lucky I have an alamo drafthouse next to me.. they show the craziest footage of old flicks and what not before the movie :) we were watching an old 1987 SNL cone-heads flick before anchorman started and reminded me of the good ol days of SNL and steve martin and dan akroyd and co...

anyways.. anchorman == 4.5/5 OSNN stars for sheer laughs and will ferrel..

Just came back from watching the movie. It was cool.

4/5 OSNN Stars from me.

the movie wasn't that funny and don't get me wrong, im a big will ferrel fan. i should of sseeen spiderman 2.

Hehe.. check the attachment. Some fan made this vector image.
I love scotch. Scotchy scotch scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly.
bigsmile.gif
(This line was pretty funny in the movie.)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back