[movie Review] 300

I think someone needs to give that bloke a hug and send him Frank Miller's graphic novel, to which the movie is surprisingly accurate :cool:

Furthermore, he's probably just po'd about the fact that the battle depicted so galvanised the city states and so demoralised the persian army that eventually Xerxes ran away like a coward. At least the movie didn't depict him fleeing the battle-scene like scared little brat with his tail between his legs.

I don't know why people can't accept that it's a work of historical fiction. It's not a documentary on the History channel!

Funny you should mention the History Channel. The history channel ran a program called "Last Stand of the 300" that did provide a more historically accurate portrayal of the Battle of Thermopylae. I have it on my DVR and I know they already re-aired it at least once (and it looks like it is being re-aired at the end of the month again (http://www.history.com/shows.do?episodeId=214233&action=detail).

And I agree.. in no way was this billed as historically accurate.. if anything, it is *slightly* more accurate than other such films billed as "based on real accounts". It is a fictional account based on a historical event. Get over it already.. it aint' a documentary or an educational film - and as far as I know, never tried to sell it as such. It was sold as a pure adrenaline pumping mindless entertainment. :)

They key there is "mindless". It's not really a movie that is supposed to spark deep philosophical thought..

I'm going to see it this friday on the IMAX :) :cool:

edit: Why aren't the greeks raising a ruckus over the fact that the soldiers wore no breastplates? Or that the fighting wasn't done in the traditional greek phalanx formations?

Furthermore, he's probably just po'd about the fact that the battle depicted so galvanised the city states and so demoralised the persian army that eventually Xerxes ran away like a coward. At least the movie didn't depict him fleeing the battle-scene like scared little brat with his tail between his legs.
Actually, Xerxes didn't run away, (at least, not at Thermopylae). After they killed the Spartans/Greeks, he continued to advance. It wasn't until most of his vast navy armada was demolished (by a much smaller Greek force I might add) that he retreated with what was left of his ships.

The Greeks then took the advantage and basically counter attacked and drove them all the way back to Persia - sparking the decline of the Persian Empire.

edit2: hmm.. actually, after reading your post more carefully, this is more or less what you said.. :p

Last edited:
ouch!

Here.. have a cookie and stop slapping me with cowardly remains.

redsauce2.gif

Who woulda thunk an epic war would erupt over cullinary preferences?

Great movie, will have to watch it a few more times to see if I really like it, but was certainly impressive on the big screen!

Lucky seeing it while over in the States as it doesn't open here until Thursday.

I loved it the first time, but replay value is important :D
Was trying to track down the graphic novel but instead found a book on how they created many of the effects was quite stunning, if not a bit of a spoiler as to how the movie magic happened.

Quite an interesting cast too, thought they were all nobodies, but there are some familiar faces in there.

I finally got around to watching this movie last weekend, I have to say It was pretty damn good. I loved the battles and special FX were top notch, acting was above average but nothing really special. I did feel that some of the scenes with the "powerful" speech's were a bit weak and It didn't leave that lasting feeling that Gladiator or Braveheart gave me. Overall though, awesome movie, definitely gotta see it on the bigscreen.

heh! Were you looking for a "win one for the gipper" kind of closer?

Heh, I love this movie so much, that, and I only saw it because I would get extra credit in my Mythology class because of it, but even then, I had to make 20 connections from the movie to myths we have studied this year. I ended up seeing it 3 times ^_^

Have you all seen the PG spoof of the movie trailer on youtube? Lol, its hillarious.

Watched it for the 2nd time today. Loved it even more!

How much longer do you think 300 will stay in theatres for? One of my buddies still hasn't seen it, but I don' know if we'll be able to check it out this weekend.

I'm pretty sure it would stay for a couple more weeks. :s

/me slaps fitz with Xerxes cowardly remains.

:cool:

Xerses? you might not want to do that, as he was one of the overidden AIs In System Shock 2 :p

But back to the movie, I will probably see it, just for all the over testosterone shouting in the film :)

How much longer do you think 300 will stay in theatres for? One of my buddies still hasn't seen it, but I don' know if we'll be able to check it out this weekend.

It's still in the top10, I dont' see why they would take it out of theatres just yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back