mounting ".iso" images in linux and error in mounting FAT32 drive.

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by gh057, Oct 30, 2006.

1. gh057

gh057 w3lc0m3 t0 7h3 r3al w0r1d

hiya i just dual installed linux and windows , having couple of problems here , hehe not really a linux guru :-D anyways i was trying to mount an .iso image in linux i guess the mount commands didnt work anyone have anyideas on how i can do this? dont feel like burning the iso to the cd. ;-( my 2nd problem is i have a FAT32 partition so that both windows and linux can share it however when i try to open the drive linux says " Unable to mount the selected volume."
    error: device /dev/hda5 is not removable

error: could not execute pmount

2. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

How are you mounting the drive? Is it listed in fstab? What distro are you running?

As for the iso image, the following should mount it:

mkdir /mnt/iso
    mount -o loop -t iso9660 filename.iso /mnt/iso
  3. gh057

gh057 w3lc0m3 t0 7h3 r3al w0r1d

sorry dont quite understand fstab? shheheh linux noob :-( and the iso mounting works fine thx, im using ubuntu.
  4. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

In The Void
    the two commands have to be done from a console window

one is to make the mount point (folder in this case where the files will sit)
    and the other is to put the files there

fstab = file system table - basically where all the info about how to mount the drives is stored

/dev/hda1 / ext2 defaults 0 0

breaking it down

/dev - tells you its a device
    hda - tells you its the first hard drive
    1 - tells you which partition it is
    / tell you where its mount - in this case its the main part of the drive - windows c: would be a better way to describe it
    ext2 - is the filesystem
    defaults - just that default settings for reading writing to the drive
    0 0 - how to check the drive should it start acting wierd

generally you can leave these as is

you could try in fastab (norm in /etc)

/dev/hda5 /mnt/point vfat defaults ,rw 0 0

if i remeber right that is - been a while since i had to mount a fat32 or ntfs drive in linux

also if it sounds like im taking to you like your an idiot i applogise, not the intention - just trying to explain it as best i can to a new linux user - i used to be one once :)
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  5. cheftony

cheftony OSNN One Post Wonder

ok ubuntu its for noob thats just a easyer version of debian, go to gentoo and chek this out ;) you will realy lear about linux :)