Motherboard started to smoke becasue of ram

AudioSlayer

OSNN Addict
I recently got mr RMA motherboard back from abit.......

I went to put in the ram and i acciedently pput the ram in the wrong way and the motherbaord started to smoke. I then RMAed the motherboard threw newegg and they will not give me a new one because its a different serial number. Do you think the motherboard will still work after, i put the ram in wrong and it started to smoke? Or should i buy a new board?

I would call newegg and explaine that your RMA'ed the first board and the second one is defective and needs to be RMA'ed also, henc why the different serial numbers. BTW, how did you put the RAM in backwards? It should not even be possible to do that as the notches on the RAM boards will only fit the notches on the RAM slots. So I am courious as to how you managed that!

It does happen, I was warned at the place that I bought my RAM and mobo that they won't replace anything if I put in the RAM the wrong way. So I guess it does happen, I didn't think it was possible not to align the pins before inserting the RAM.

on ddr ram it all looks the same. I pushed a little to hard. I did explain to newegg and they said to bad

Actually, they don't record the too bad part. Try again with a different person. Tell them serials different because of repair by abit. Might work might not.

As for the RAM you're the second OSNN member to put DDR RAM in backwards who was willing to admit it. I would never admit to it.

I'd like to know the brands of RAM for future reference. I sure can't get mine in backwards (crucial and spektek).

Humm, I guess your right, I just assumed that all ram and ram slots would have the offset notch in them so you wouldn't be able to put the RAM in backwards, as that was the whole point of the design. But after looking at some pics of various DDR RAM and DDR capable mobo's it looks like the notch is right in the middle. So I can see how that might happen now.

But I am still confused as to why some DDRAM have the offset and others don't. My Crucial DDRAM pc2100 ram has the offset notches as does my gigabyte mobo which simply makes it impossible to install backwards.

Yeah I would be curious why even manufactor would bother even putting in a notch if it has no purpose (ie. a key to avoid misaligned RAM)?

Its not the ram, I put it in backwards and it smoked. Should i go threw the trouble and take all the stuff off the borrowed motherboard and put it on the motheroard that smoked or should i just go buy a new one?

I'd say buy a new one. If the mobo smoked, chances are teh board is shot, and anything you put back on it you run the risk of frying too.

dreamliner77 said:
I'd say buy a new one. If the mobo smoked, chances are teh board is shot, and anything you put back on it you run the risk of frying too.
Yeah even if it does work I doubt it would work 100% for that long. And like dreamliner77 said, you run the risk of it taking your working parts with it.

w00kiec00kie said:
HUH? how does it physically fit backwards?? whoa. :confused:
Some RAM (I think it's rareish) isn't keyed to keep you from putting it in wrong
:mad:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back