Motherboard self-install opinion

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by shulse, Apr 6, 2003.

1. shulse

shulse Guest

I am slowly upgrading my computer and I would like to add a new motherboard to my system.

The question is - how easy is it uninstall and install a new motherboard? I have some knowledge of and have successfully installed new vid and sound cards, which I considered very easy and straight-forward. I would say a 2 out of a 1-10 scale.

I have a Dell Dimension 4300, which has a pretty roomy tower and things aren't packed in too tight. On the new motherboard I would like to transplant my P4 1.7 from my current motherboard and add some DDR RAM.

I have read several online guides and can't really get a feel for how difficult it is. Seems like there are a lot of steps, but none seem to crazy. Using my above mentioned scale of 1-10 - how difficult would this be to do?
  2. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Installing them is pretty easy, a couple of things to make sure of though. On a scale of 1-10 give a PCI expansion a 2, this would probably be a 5, but you really can't plug things into the wrong place, they just won't fit.

1) Sometimes Dell's, Gateways, etc., do not use standard case size like ATX form factor, just make sure that the case supports the mobo size.

2) Always use all of the spacers for the mobo.

3) Install the processor, RAM, Video card, and front panel LEDs first, then start connecting the power to the HDD, FDD, and CDD. Same thing with the 3-pin fan speed wires. Then connect the IDE cables last. It makes it easier to work with before all of the IDE cables get in the way.

4) Another couple of things to watch with the front panel LEDs, make sure the polarity is right. Also if the mobo has a firewire make sure it is connected to the correct place on the board, if that is installed incorrectly it can destroy some mobos.

5) If you have unconnected wires when you finish, take a look back and see what you missed.
  3. jdn

jdn I'm trying

Victoria, B.C. CANADA
    I am not sure about this but alot of pc builders lock xp with the bios: i.e. if you change out the mobo you will have to get a new copy of XP. I am not sure about Dells as I have never had one but do a search or ask, I am sure someone knows
  4. rettahc

rettahc Guest

Thats a good point. If the dell only came with a recovery disk then once you put in the new motherboard the recovery disk will no longer work. And once you put in the new motherboard you will have to reinstall windows.
  5. freightgod

freightgod Confused and Bewildered

CAUTION! Dell uses a proprietary wiring scheme for their motherboard power cables! You most likely will not be able to install a standard ATX motherboard in your case without rewiring the cable for yourself or buying a new power supply.
  6. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Yep, BIG WARNING sign on that one! I almost made that mistake. Luckily I realised the wires were a bit "too red". Looking closer they where'nt even in the same holes as a standard ATX.