Motherboard memory settings..HELP pls.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Chensu, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Chensu

Chensu Guest

Hi

I was just looking at motherboard BIOS memory settings, and I noticed under "SDRAMFrequency" there are the options of SPD, HCLK, HCLK+33, HCLK+66. Currently its set to SPD.

I've looked in the motherboard manual, but it doesnt explain what the settings do.

So just what does HCLK mean and do?.. and what setting should I use.

TIA

Chensu

2. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

what speed is your memory?

depending on the speed of the memory you will be able to set your memory timings to the best performance levels...

:)

btw HCLK = host clock...

3. jumpy

jumpy Guest

SPD, is Serial Presence Detect I think. That just automatically sets your ram at its rated speed. ie pc2700 at 333mhz. HCLK is host clock, so HCLK+33 is your system fsb + 33mhz and HCLK+66 ditto.

Say you've got a celeron like me running on a 100mhz bus then HCLK would be 100mhz, HCLK+33=133mhz, HCLK+66=166mhz and if its pc133 ram then SPD would give me 133mhz.

jumpy

4. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

yup... jumpy pretty much nailed it on the head... :)

if you know your mobo details and what type of mem you have running... you are good to go :)

5. Chensu

Chensu Guest

Oh thankyou Jumpy, I understood your explanation completely. I guess you could overclock your memory (if it will take it).

Sazar, I have PC2100 currently set to SPD for the frequency, but I have been successful in setting the other timings to..
    2-2-5-2, t1, QW4
    Thanks again.

Chensu.