Motherboard fried?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Tittles, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

Hey...I am at my friends house cause his computer wont turn on. I think the mobo is fried because nothing turns on except they lil red light on the mobo that shows its getting power. I blew off all the dust and tried to reset the cmos but still didnt do anything. Is it most likely that his mobo is fried?

2. RickyC

RickyC OSNN Addict

Could be the cpu. The only way to tell though is to test it with another cpu.

Are the case/cpu fans firing up?

3. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

I say if the fans are not turning then look into power supply because even with a fried mobo some fans should come on ie: the fan inside the power supply for one

4. Tittles

Well i was on it last night and it was running fine. It was left on over night and when he came down in the morning it was off and he tried to turn it on but it wouldnt. Nothin starts up at all cept the lil red light thats on when u plug in the cord.

edit: I guess the side fans werent turning on either or the light tube thats inside. So its gotta be the power supply then but how is the lil red light coming on?

5. Shamus MacNoob

power travels through a wire like a ground light will be on when there is no power as such, if you not sure just grab your power supply and try it see if it boots up. When you said blew all the dust out sure sounds like it was not very well taken care off.

Any how try another PSU for a starter.

Tittles likes this.
  6. RickyC

RickyC OSNN Addict

What sort of mobo is it? Most can control the psu and switch it off. If the cpu is dead the mobo will switch off straight away, you may just get the fans spinning for a second when you power up.

Have you another pc to test with?

7. Tittles

Yeah i was thinking about checking with a different but wanted to make sure. Its an albertron or w/e. I am gonna go check right now...be back in a few

8. Tittles

well it was the power supply...that was my second guess. It would of prob been my first if they didnt take the side case off and unplug the fans. Thanks for the help now i am off to look for a new power supply for them. Any reccommendations?

edit: dont wanna spend more then $60ish thanks.

9. Shamus MacNoob

Depends what they have inside if it is just the run of the mill nothing outrageous then any power supply will do really of course a brand name is always better I would look at enermax or antec both are very good.

10. Tittles

alright i wasnt to sure on a brand so thanks for the help. Will let u know what is order. Thanks :)

11. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

i know a few people with this PSU: click they say its a good one. (Antec Solution Series SL400 - 400W - 6 Output connectors)