motherboard fan kickin the bucket?

mooo

thecyberninja
A fan on my motherboard has started making a lot of noise. I was wondering what would cause this. Is it about to die?
I think its special for my motherboard the GA-8IPE1000 series. If i have to buy another one would a local place have it or would i have to order from somewhere?

is it a north bridge cooler fan? can you take a picture or provid us a picture of it?

yes i will in the morning. I am not sure what a north bridge fan is. Its the fan located under the CPU about 1in x 1in.

it probably looks like this:
http://www.motherboards.org/imageview.html?i=/images/reviews/motherboards/1355_p2_3.jpg

Firstly: I'd make sure no wires etc. are touching it and that it is the source of the noise.

Secondly: It looks to have some room around it and shouldn't be too hard to replace (though you'll probably have to remove the motherboard - no fun). Any decent shop geared for the enthusiast should have the parts (forget about the stores that just resell what others assemble).

Thirdly: If you do have to replace it just make sure every part goes back in the same spot it came from (with thermal grease if required). If you're lazy you could just grab a pair of pliers and yank out the pins but that would mean breaking them - and perhaps other things.

On second thought - FORGET ALL THAT - remove and replace just the fan - four screws, one connector (It looks like a standard 40mm - though you might have to splice the wires for the connector).

I was having problems booting my comp sometime back, and in diagnosing it noticed the fan on my chipset died. Gonaads mentioned there are kits one can buy to replace this with. Let me see if I can find the post

http://forum.osnn.net/showpost.php?p=589125&postcount=8

If you ask at a local computer parts store, they should know what you're asking about...

Well from the model of MoBo he has posted, it doesn't have a NorthBridge fan.

photo_8ipe1000_big.jpg

And the Pro version doesn't seem to have one either.

photo_8ipe1000_pro2_10_big.jpg

I did find a Pro-G version and the image of that one does show a NorthBridge Fan.

resize

Anyway... most computer shops/stores sell universal NorthBridge Fans. Just check around and try to find one close to the same design.

You could also e-mail Gigabyte and see if they sell replacement fans.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back