Motherboard/CPU/HSF advice + DVD Burner

Nick M

OSNN Veteran Addict
Greetings all! :alien:

Since my Thermaltake Volcano 9 had been failing recently, I went out and ordered a Thermaltake Big Typhoon, which is an absolutely gigantic cooler but it supposed to run very quietly whilst keeping the CPU cool. Unfortunately this was not to be as the capacitators on my motherboard, a Soyo KT-600 Dragon Plus v 1.0, get in the way. To add to that, the cooler on the motherboard (Northbridge?) is failing so I've decided to buy a new mobo as well that will accomodate the cooler and a better CPU. But first things first:

1. I've been out of the tech world completely for the past two years or so, I have no idea of what's going on :p I'm eyeing either an AMD Athlon 64 3500 Venice or AMD Athlon 64 3800+. How big of a difference is there between the two? I'm not an avid gamer although I do use video editing ( miniDV) and photoshop to process huge RAW files on a daily basis. I have an XP 2800+ right now and it serves me OK.

2. Motherboard. What to get that will fit the Big Typhoon? I'm looking for stability over performance. I need a board that will smoothly 24/7 for a long while. Overclocking isn't a concern. In all seriousness, aside from looking at the photographs on the manufacturers website, there's no way to know if the capaciators will or will not get in the way of the HSF, is there?

3. DVD burner - I have all these files and I don't know what to do with them! CDs don't hold 'em. I'm completely new in the DVD business - I've had a Plextor drive before that served me for many long years burnings CDs, but that's about it. Is there any new technology promised to come out soon that will replace DVDs or am I dreaming? If not, what's nice and fast out there?

Thanks a lot folks, I know it's a lot!

If you are HEAVY photoshop then I would go with the 3800+, but if you do light/med editing the 3500+ should be fine. As far as mobos, I would go with any brand as long as it has the nForce4 chipset, I have heard that DFI is making the best ATM. As for dvd burner, I cant help you :) I am still looking for one myself.

zeke_mo said:
If you are HEAVY photoshop then I would go with the 3800+, but if you do light/med editing the 3500+ should be fine. As far as mobos, I would go with any brand as long as it has the nForce4 chipset, I have heard that DFI is making the best ATM. As for dvd burner, I cant help you :) I am still looking for one myself.

I agree to this partially, however I simply can't see going with the 3800+ over the 3500+. For an extra 99 bucks you really only get .2ghz more. I really don't think the trained or naked eye would notice that. If you have the cash, go for it, but I don't know if that is a solid investment myself.

Personally, I have used this DVD burner for lots of machines that I build, and it works great.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827182031

Optorite makes OEM for larger companies, so you definitely save on cost buying from them directly.

I am by no means an AMD expert, as I have been reading on them alot lately since I am building a new AMD rig. So, everything said above this is just my opinion.

kcnychief said:
I agree to this partially, however I simply can't see going with the 3800+ over the 3500+. For an extra 99 bucks you really only get .2ghz more. I really don't think the trained or naked eye would notice that.
We are talking about AMD and not intel, AMD makes performance in their architecture, so speeds can be misleading, just because its .2Ghz faster doesnt mean it isnt worth the money. The CPU is better even if it is only .2 faster.

Take a look
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103527
The FX-55 is 2.6Ghz, and a 3500+ is 2.2. IF you over clock a 3500+ by 400Mhz, it wouldnt even come near the FX-55.

zeke_mo said:

I am heavy photoshop - but I figure since the XP 2800 is more or less sufficient for me now I might not need all that much more. Then again, I upgrade the CPU and I'm stuck with it for more then a year ! As for the motherboard brand, I'm pretty surprised that you mentioned DFI. I used to have two DFI boards back in 1999-2000 running...hmm, socket 7 I think and both of them died within weeks of eachother. So I and a general public opinion of DFI was back then that they were absolute crap. I looked them up on google though and people say that their NForce4 boards are nothing like what they use to manufacture. Surprising indeed - I'll take a look at it, thanks :)

Nick M said:
Greetings all! :alien:

Since my Thermaltake Volcano 9 had been failing recently, I went out and ordered a Thermaltake Big Typhoon, which is an absolutely gigantic cooler but it supposed to run very quietly whilst keeping the CPU cool. Unfortunately this was not to be as the capacitators on my motherboard, a Soyo KT-600 Dragon Plus v 1.0, get in the way. To add to that, the cooler on the motherboard (Northbridge?) is failing so I've decided to buy a new mobo as well that will accomodate the cooler and a better CPU. But first things first:

1. I've been out of the tech world completely for the past two years or so, I have no idea of what's going on :p I'm eyeing either an AMD Athlon 64 3500 Venice or AMD Athlon 64 3800+. How big of a difference is there between the two? I'm not an avid gamer although I do use video editing ( miniDV) and photoshop to process huge RAW files on a daily basis. I have an XP 2800+ right now and it serves me OK.

A socket 939 based system will do the job for you. Depending on your price range you can get anything from an a64 3500+ through to a base dual core proc. The 3500+ should do the job for you if you want to save a few bucks.

2. Motherboard. What to get that will fit the Big Typhoon? I'm looking for stability over performance. I need a board that will smoothly 24/7 for a long while. Overclocking isn't a concern. In all seriousness, aside from looking at the photographs on the manufacturers website, there's no way to know if the capaciators will or will not get in the way of the HSF, is there?

Most mobo's will give you stability. Probably consider a via k8t800pro or nf3/4 chipset setup to give you the best feature-set. If you have a local Fry's in your area you might be able to take a look at the motherboards in person and ballpark the position of the HSF and clearance with caps. If the hsf is a regulation (ie amd spec'd) cooler and same for the mobo, it SHOULDN'T interfere with the caps.

3. DVD burner - I have all these files and I don't know what to do with them! CDs don't hold 'em. I'm completely new in the DVD business - I've had a Plextor drive before that served me for many long years burnings CDs, but that's about it. Is there any new technology promised to come out soon that will replace DVDs or am I dreaming? If not, what's nice and fast out there?

Thanks a lot folks, I know it's a lot!

The DL drives out there are all about the same for performance/bang for the buck. Go with the best bang for the buck (consider software suite as part of that bang unless you own a good package). No new tech on the immediate horizon as far as I know.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back