Motherboard chipset discussion

Originally posted by LeeJend
For example of Dual-channel mode:

Channel 1 - DIMM 1 and Channel 2 - DIMM 2
Channel 1 - DIMM 1 and Channel 2 - DIMM 3
Channel 1 - DIMM 1 and Channel 2 - DIMM 2 & DIMM 3
Still does not address what happens with a third stick???
sure it does. look at the one i highlighted.

the channel with the two slots right next to each other (channel 2, it looks like) acts, of couse, as one channel, correct? so you could have 2x256mb in channel 2... and 1x512mb in channel 3 and have an effective 1gb of dual-ddr. it makes sense at least, since the two sticks in channel 2 basically act as one big stick, just like any single-channel board (via, for instance).

Originally posted by LeeJend
Dual DDR uses the same type of trick that RAID striping uses. While one stick (or HD) is being read the other is in it's "wait state". You need 2 physically seperate devices of the same size to make this work. RAID allows you to use 2 different sized drives but the partitions have to be the EXACT same size. There is no equivalent to a partition in windows memory access so you have to have 2 same sized sticks.
but there are plenty of people who install, say, 1x256mb in channel 1 and 1x512mb and their post reports "dual channel enabled" and they have 768mb.

with those, is only the first 512mb of their memory dual-channel? then whatever it uses past that is single channel?
:confused: wierd.

So from what you are saying i could use my 512dimm in channel 1 and my 2x256 in channel 2 and still get duel channel mode ???

Originally posted by indyjones
So from what you are saying i could use my 512dimm in channel 1 and my 2x256 in channel 2 and still get duel channel mode ???
it looks like it.

I don't know about the RAM issue, but the biggest thing I like about nForce2 boards is the fact that the AGP/PCI divider is no longer an issue. It is locked at whatever you set. That lets you have free reign to adjust the FSB to whatever you want without worrying about divider issue. Plus, the nForce2 board I have (AFAIK, this applies to all nForce boards) automatically unlocks the multiplier on your CPU without doing any bridge or pin mods. It may not do this on Palomino's, but I think it works on the T-breds, and I know it works on the Bartons :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back