Motherboard/BIOS update utility.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by napalmnthemorning, Jun 2, 2003.

1. napalmnthemorning

napalmnthemorning Moderator

Is there such a thing as a Motherboard update utility?
    I want to find out if there is anyway to update with an auto program. I read my Belarc Advisor and on the Main Circuit Board I see I have an Intel Corporation WL810E AAA27218204
    BIOS: Intel Corp. WL81020A.15A.0004.P03.000404170004/04/2000
    Any suggestions.

Excuse me if this is a dumb ass ? I've never messed with this stuff before. I've downloaded 3rd party drivers for my video card and sound card, but never messed with this baby. Sort of sCaRy!

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

You mean to automate BIOS Flashing from Windows? I hardly think so since being in Windows and flashing a BIOS is a really bad combination. Automatic download and notification maybe. Why do you want to auto update the BIOS? If it works, it works. No need to update.

3. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

yea Zedric is right, I don't think there's a way to do it from within windows but flashing the BIOS isn't difficult. The manufacturer should have step by step instructions on the process.

4. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

Well some boards do have that one for example is gigabyte they have a live bios update feature where you can connect to their website and download and install the bios updates, but as a rule of thumb I would not do that ...I had a gigabyte board and I still went the old floppy route , I dont leave anything to chance I prefere to use my good old floppy when it comes to flashing the bios:)

5. Maveric169

Maveric169 The Voices Talk to Me

Besides that, gigabyte's utility is crap anyway and never works. At least for me

6. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Napalm

Note one of the answers above "if it works why update it".

You can trash the board if you botch the flash process. You have to have the right bios binary file, the right bios loader, and pray there are no power interruptions during the process.

If you get a bad load or the wrong bios you are hosed, It means a trip back to the manufacturer. (unless you have a gigabyte board with the dual bios option).

7. indyjones

indyjones OSNN.net Adventurer

Avoid the windows update i used the asus one and it wanged the board it now sits in a box unable to know what it is :(