most compatible 3d cards

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by apu95, May 30, 2002.

1. apu95

apu95 Caffeine-->Code Converter

whats the most compatible 3d card for xp? (in the nvidia or ati families, preferably nvidia)

thx, apu

2. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

any of them in the G4 ti family, ti4600, etc.

3. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

Both Nvidia and ATI are pretty much compatible with anything. The only problesm ATI had was their drivers use to suck but they have gotten TONS better.

4. bheagle

bheagle Guest

Thx for remembering Q
    :D

5. UofEEE

UofEEE Guest

Maybe this is just me, but beware of the nVidia infinite loop issue in XP...it happens to me every day. (But that's just my computer, I used cheap memory as well, and it's a cheap video card (eVga). I love how fast it is though, and just experiment with the Dentonator drivers. I'm using 28.32 and have tried every single set there is save the beta versions. Go

6. xsk8zerox

xsk8zerox Moderator

UofEEE are you overclocking your card at all? You shouldent have an infinate loop everyday. I have a gf2mx400 and ive gotten it 3 times all due to overclocking.

7. Gnu

Gnu OSNN Addict

The infinite loop issue depends pretty much on your particular hardware, the weather, and how you take your tea. Some folks never have to deal with it, some always do; most of my nVidia-equipped PCs have never experienced it, but the K6-2 in the living room chokes on it every time with drivers higher than 21.xx. It's worth noting that although it's primarily a Geforce issue, some Radeon owners have reportedly been plagued with it, as well.

8. Howling Wolf

Howling Wolf We did not deserve this !

Your specs Apu95, please !

It depends on the cpu, Athlon4 or P4 ?

In other threads, some discuss problems with AMD+XP+NVIDIA+GAMES and not AMD+XP+ATI+GAMES !

ATI is a good choice also (7500 or 8500), I made it ! And I'm fully satisfied, up to now.
    Let's stop claiming Nvidia is the only one video chip maker on our good mother earth, for once !

9. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

we're not claiming it's the only one... just the best. :D :cool:

10. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Here here! I second that! :D I have a G-Force II GTS and it does not skip a beat. Thank you very much.

11. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

gimme some GTS love, brothah! */high-fives gonaads... no matter how gay that is anymore* :D

12. Syrus

Syrus OSNN Addict

most all nvidea chips will work fine with XP, but go with the newist nvidea cards like gf4 ti 4200 and so on, Buts if i was u i'd buy a Visiontek Xtasy ge-force 4, they've done nothin but master the american market.

13. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

Nobody said nothin' about 3dfx cards .. never experienced any problem with voodoo(s)

14. UofEEE

UofEEE Guest

No, my card isn't overclocked. But, I think it may be the motherboard....

15. gonaads

Heh heh heh :p

16. gonaads

Re: Re: most compatible 3d cards

The Voodoo's died pretty much after the Voodoo4 and 5. The Voodoo5 was... well not even an honerable mention.

17. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

For those with infinite loop....Download NVmax...there is actually an option that says it can stop the infinite loop error...I don't know since I've never tried it as I've neer had the error but if your gettin it everyday it's sure worth a shot :)