More Single Layer DVD Firmware Upgrades to Dual Layer

Hipster Doofus

Good grief Charlie Brown
A few more single layer roms can be upgraded to dual layer. See if your is listed. (Seems I should have read the magazine instead of looking at the video on the cover CD. :D)

1/ BenQ DW800A - Upgradable to BenQ DW822A

2/ BenQ822A - BenQ Europe will offer a dual-layer firmware on September 30, 2004. (I'm getting this straight out of the magazine so I can't explain why 1 & 2 have the same model)

3/ Gigabyte GO-W0808A - rebaged Lite-on SOHW-812S. Firmware upgrade to SOHW-832S.

4/ Lite-on LDW-451S - Firmware upgrade to SOHW-832S.

5/ Lite-on LDW-851S - Firmware upgrade to SOHW-832S.

6/ Lite-on SOHW-812S. Firmware upgrade to SOHW-832S.+

7/ NEC ND-2500A. Upgradable to NEC ND-2510A.

8/ NuTech DDW-081. Firmware upgrade (when available) to NuTech DDW-082. This will not work with all DDW-081 drives. The initial laser calibrationwas not done to a high enough standard. It will require a hand picked model.

9/ NuTech DDW-061. Firmware upgrade to NuTech DDW-082 when released. The initial laser calibrationwas not done to a high enough standard. It will require a hand picked model.

10/ NuTech DDW-082 - Firmware upgrade when available.

11/ Sony DW-U18A - rebaged Lite-on SOHW-812S. Firmware upgrade to Lite-on SOHW-832S.

12/ Teac DV-W58G-A - rebaged Lite-on SOHW-812S. Firmware upgrade to Lite-on SOHW-832S.

This list is growing by the week.

Do some digging around & see what you can come up with. :)

Lite-on users (mainly Lite-on) check out the Code Guys Site.

I think mine is a little dated for such a funky upgrade.
Is the media itself widely available?

Dual Layer media? I think at the moment it would be cheaper to buy the movie. :D

Over here they are around A$15 a disk.

I won't pay more than A$20 for a movie. I can wait......& wait........& wait. :D

It pays to shop around though. Go into one shop & it costs $40, go into another shop in the same centre & it is under $20. :eek:

nice find! flashed the firmware on my Lite-On in hopes that the DL media will soon drop in price... there was an added bonus though... now my DVD +/- RW drive will now burn CD-Rs at 40x speeds in stead of the old 24x speeds that it was rated at.

Yeah, people have been flashing the dvdr drives for a while now. All the way back to 2.4x drives. Lite-ons are notoriously good for this. Also, alot of "off-market" brands can be had cheap and then flashed to their major brand counterparts.

More Single Layer DVD Firmware Upgrades to Dual Layer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Got to be one of the most useful tips to appear... just going out later to find some dual layer dvds for my new Liteon SOHW 832S DVDRW !

doh think my liteon 811s is a wee be too old for this :( nevermind

Has anyone here performed the firmware upgrade with the Lite-On 451S and had it work? i'd like to do it, but am kinda skeptical about it, mostly due to the fact that i'd rather NOT turn my DVD+/-RW into a fancy paperweight.

Checked at Computer fair in UK this weekend and Verbatim are the only producers of these double layer discs, through one of their companies that pioneered the DVR9 .
They are said to be so unreliable at present as to be not worth wasting money on !

ElementalDragon said:
Has anyone here performed the firmware upgrade with the Lite-On 451S and had it work? i'd like to do it, but am kinda skeptical about it, mostly due to the fact that i'd rather NOT turn my DVD+/-RW into a fancy paperweight.

You can just put the drive into your computer, and pull out the tray part of it so it's always out and call it the "cup holder" :)

hmm that is interesting news indeed. i think that i will hold off flashing my lite-on untill dual layer discs are more prevailent for me. plus i am a student, so spending money = ~none :(

Just cross flashed my SOHW-1633S to the new SOHW-1653S plus a lot of media updates for faster writing. Must go & read up on the new drive to see if it was worth it. :D

if i cross flash the firmware on my LDW 451S to the SOHW 832S, would that also make my DVD burner capable of burning at 8x instead of 4x... if it's succesful........ i'm guessing not, but figured i'd ask anyway.

Pretty sure you will get a speed increase. That's the whole idea of doing it. Haven't heard of anyone having a problem cross flashing......as long as the instructions are followed it is a simple thing to do.

I was reading the site yesterday & if the unthinkable happens you can supposedly get the drive back up & running with the original firmware. Something like that anyway.

so i'd have to go to the codeguy's site and get the patched firmware update for the SOHW 832S so i can crossflash my drive?

Yep, just grab the firmware that you want to upgrade to plus the tweak file. Also download omnipatcher so you can put the tweak file into the firmware & save it, then run.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back