more reasons to abandon internet explorer

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
don't know if this has been around, I just read it;

google is now caching the first most likely result into firefox and those browzers so you'll get a cache hit if you click the first result

ie doesn't support the feature so it can't be included in the technology

what do you mean.. This is something new to me.

Thats sounds pretty cool, dont know if I would use it though. I never find what I want on the first try :p. Other times I just use the address bar in FF as a "im feeling lucky" search. Will be checking this out :)

O.k perris I see what it is now .. I'm wondering if they will add this, plus some, to their browser when they release it ..

I've disabled the feature for now. I'd rather not have cookies and other junk from sites that I didn't actually visit. Might be worth it for lower bandwidth connections, but I personally didn't observe a noticeable difference in page loading speed when it was enabled to make it worthwhile.

Johnny said:
O.k perris I see what it is now .. I'm wondering if they will add this, plus some, to their browser when they release it ..
The Google Browser is a rumor/myth and nothing more. :)

I think google should make this particular feature a user preferance.

I don't want the bandwidth used on my searches

Perris, it can be disabled within Firefox itself.

1. Type "about:config" the address bar.
2. Set the value of the "network.prefetch-next" key to "False".

Done. :)

perris said:
I think google should make this particular feature a user preferance.

I don't want the bandwidth used on my searches
I think bw is some peoples lesser concern. Those that have their surfing monitored (ie. work, school, government, ect.) must be very carefull what they type in google now with this enabled. Just imagine if for some reason you wanted to check out that sad movie xXx w/ Vin diesel. Well you type it in and instead of sorting thru pages of pr0n careful not to click any as it will get you in trouble. Now your browser would prefetch all of those!

I'm sure explaining to your boss that the "computer just did it" would go over fine though. :p

Makes absolutely no difference to me.... Although I leave some space available for cache, it's set to be emptied out every time I close my browser. I try to keep my drive clean of those files. :)

OK, so your first search result might come up faster... but the search will take longer. I don't use FF because I hate it's load time compared to IE... When I search I want to find my results quickly... not wait another 3 seconds to see the results. How often is the first result the one you want anyways?

Un4gIvEn1 said:
How often is the first result the one you want anyways?
A bit depends on how well you craft your search terms.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back