Monitor troubles

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by UofEEE, Oct 10, 2002.

1. UofEEE

UofEEE Guest

Every so often my monitor flickers and the bottom of the screen shakes. I'm not sure what causes that, but I was wondering if it was the monitor, video card or motherboard? I think it's the monitor, but I did have to get a new video card not too long ago. Stupid EVga (Crap) cards. But let me know what you guys think

2. bhxtyrant

bhxtyrant Guest

i have an older monitor that i used to use that did the same thing you are describing but it isnt broken and still works fine but it still does that flickering once in a while.i dont know what causes it but it doesnt seem to be harmful

3. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

I had a Dell Monitor, and I assumed that it was doing this with age. Then I checked the power connection on it, and everything went a-ok.

Let me explain : If you run all of your computer goodness on a powerstrip, sometimes, it can be too much for your outlet's total power, and there will be too much electricity usage unless you unplug a bunch of stuff or move to a different outlet. I found that this causes the monitor to flicker.

Also, a loose connection could do this also, as well as refresh rate at a wrong setting.

4. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

i was thinking it sounded like the monitor was degaussing by itself. never heard of such a thing, so i could be wrong... but if it is, it's probably not a big deal.

5. damnyank

damnyank I WILL NOT FORGET 911

Do you have external (detached) speakers really close to your monitor? It could be magnetic interference caused by the magnets in the speakers.

Also seems like I read somewhere about unplugging the monitor from the power source for 30 or 60 seconds and then plugging it back in - I think it had something to do with starting auto deagussing if the monitor has that function.