monitor resolution

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by eddieb, Jan 7, 2004.

1. eddieb

eddieb OSNN Addict

Here you go guys. A problem I have never seen before. After I removed a stick of ram in Windows XP Pro, it won't hold the set resolution. No matter what I set, it defaults, after restating, it defaults to
    800x600. I have tried different drivers and still no luck. If I install an extra stick of ram, all is fine. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

certainly odd. how much are you taking out and how much is left? does this board have onboard video?

3. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Do you have onboard graphics or a graphics card?

4. eddieb

eddieb OSNN Addict

I have 1.5 gigs of ram and no onboard graphics. I am using an ATI 9500 Pro card. All runs fine with 1.5 gigs of ram. When I drop it to 1 gig, that's when the resolution problem starts.

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

quite odd. what driver are you using for your card? i suggest the latest catalyst.

if that's what you got, i can only think of some kind of registry mess-up. if you're comfortable with reformatting, that'd probably do the trick.

6. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

maybe some bad ram?

Try running memtest86

7. eddieb

eddieb OSNN Addict

I ran memtest86 already. That's how I found the bad stick. After taking out the bad one my problem started. Using current catalyst drivers. I don't think it is a registry problem because the problem originated with the removal of a stick of ram, not from installing or uninstalling software. If all else fails, I might have to reformat just to cover all the bases.