Modems under a 28k?

Like replying to posts, right! Everytime you've typed and added to the forum, no matter where, that's a post. The number of posts are from since you started visiting this site and posting. So, if I posted a reply in another "thread", my number would go up from where it is now, and the number changes on all my replies, so their all the same......

To all who use Speedguide.net

Those speeds that you get on Speedguide.net are not that accurate. Those tests work by registering how fast your browser reacts to certain conditions. To accurately test your line speeds, check out the line speed test at DSLReports.com. You'll be surprised at how much slower you line really is that your browser.

As for the listing on your cable connection, your modem's ethernet port is 10Mb. All cable modems have a 10Mb ethernet port UNLESS you have a digital cable modem, in which it is 100Mb. Most people do not have digital cable modems. When you look at your speed in Windows XP, that is not your actual line speed, but the speed between your NIC and the next available device (modem).

Most people who use cable internet services on DOCSIS networks get what are known as burst speeds. This is when bandwidth is reallocated from someone who isn't using their bandwidth to someone who needs the extra bandwidth. The result is that some users download files above their bandwidth cap (most cable providers cap your modem at 1.5. Others, like mine, cap it at 2Mb). Even though my cap is at 2Mb, I can download at speeds up to 5Mb because of bursting.

When u sai digital, did u mean like not plugged into the back of a PC?

This is what I got at dslreports.com's speed test.
speed.gif

there was a story on this somewhere

hey, i remember reading all about this stuff on some forum. i think it was isonews.com's forum but im not sure.

Yea, these scores don't really mean much, but their good for checking a "before and after" with TCP Optimizer.......

Originally posted by AaronMcarthur
When u sai digital, did u mean like not plugged into the back of a PC?

No. A digital cable modem is a modem that has been designed to operate over fiber coaxle cable.

Fiber Optics. Won't see that too wide spread for a while........

Originally posted by Eolis
Fiber Optics. Won't see that too wide spread for a while........

Yeah true. Actually, it isn't 100% fiber. From the CO to the neighborhood distribution center is fiber. From the distribution center to someone's home is coaxle. Because of the fiber, the frequencies are slightly different. Thus, we have slightly different modems known as Digital Cable modems. Since the fiber can only read digital signals, the fiber has to be tranceived to coaxle, which is analog. Most providers who run fiber coaxle use regular modems and use the tranceiver to convert the signals. In my area, however, we run digital modems and send straight digital signals.

Originally posted by AaronMcarthur
What is it?

Fiber optics are a method of sending voice or data signals via light... or in this case, via a fiber line and lasers. Fiber lines are just what they sound like. They are tiny strands of fiber glass wrapped into a cable. A single fiber is small, however most are grouped together. Fiber has the ability to transmit data signals at the speed of light... However our current maximum over fiber is OC255... which is 13.21 Gbps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back