Modem Volume and Initialization Strings

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by RACERX88, Feb 19, 2002.

1. RACERX88

RACERX88 Guest

Guys and Gals,

I have Windows XP and I have a problem with my modem. When go to device manager and click on the properties for my modem, it shows the modem volume off. However, when it dials out I can hear the modem dialing out and communicating to our ISP. Is there something I am missing? Do I need to turn something else off?

Also, I input an initialization string in the advanced options "I think" of the modem under device manager. Before it forced the modem at 26400 but I am still getting a higher speed with the initialization string inputted. Do I need to put the string somewhere else?

2. jamichel2000

jamichel2000 Guest

Usually the modem volume is set in the Extra Settings of the modem properties in the Control Panel and it's the same for the Init String but for the volume I don't remember the exact letters...sorry.

I work as a Helpdesk Technician and that's what we do for connection problems (Init String)

A great site for more info about modems:
  3. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

open your network connections window and right click on you dialup isp thing then properties then on one of the tabs it show s your modem. slect it then properties(or configuratin or somehting) there should be an option called enable modem speaker, untick it
  4. Binary

Binary Guest

Here are strings you can add to the Extra initialisationstring:

M0 Speaker always off
    M1 Speaker on during connection
    M2 Speaker always on (very noisy)
    L0 Lowest volume
    L1 Lowest volume (redundant)
    L2 Medium volume
    L3 Maximum volume

Obviously with m0 there is no need for any L setting.