mobos with raid? few questions here

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Tbird94sc, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Tbird94sc

Tbird94sc Guest

on motherboards with raid built in liek the asus a7v333 and the epox Epox 8K3A+, they include onboard raid controllers. my question is, can these raid controllers be used as normal ide ports so i wouldnt haveto use my pci ata card, or can they only be used in a raid configuration.

thanks in advance

Ron

2. Pythro

Pythro Guest

You mean like having 4 ide channels...that would be pretty cool.

3. Tbird94sc

Tbird94sc Guest

thats exactly what i mean

4. Pythro

Pythro Guest

I dont have any idea but i was wondering that same thing.

5. Tbird94sc

Tbird94sc Guest

ive been told you can so im hoping this is true

6. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

I know with the Abit BD7-Raid boards you can.

7. Tbird94sc

Tbird94sc Guest

ok cool

8. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

Yes, usually you can. My Soyo Dragon+ with onboard Promise RAID functions as a standard ATA/100 controller. You just flip a jumper to swtich from RAID Array mode to ATA/100 Mode (on mine)

JJB

9. Tbird94sc

Tbird94sc Guest

cool thanks a lot

10. wahoo24jc

wahoo24jc Guest

The raid on my Abit KR7A can be used as standard IDE, so I would guess that the Asus would as well.

11. blinden

blinden OSNN Senior Addict

yes, I had one of the first boards to have onboard raid features, very nice, even when not using it. I had 4 HD's, a DVD and CD-RW drive, very nice to be able to have some many devices without any controllers.

12. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

on some boards, the raid controllers are one mode faster than the onboard controllers. my Abit KT7-RAID has onboard support for ata66 but it's built-in raid is ata100 so all my harddrives are on the raid. i have no arrays set up. same goes with my friend's Abit KR7A-RAID... he has his only hd on his raid cuz it's ata133 while his board is ata100.

i wouldn't really consider any board without raid since the raid option is so cheap (extra $5-$10) and it's so common to have more than 4 devices anymore.