mobo wont start? eeks?

Right on Lee!!! :p

I used the air in the can thing for computers and it worked pretty good. I used most of it for fun tho. I haad 2 cans and if u turn it upside down it stuff comes out or if u have it reuglar and hold the button down it the cans starts to freez. Its awsome :)

Lee said:
I use compressed air, I don't touch vacuum cleaners that's the Womans job in my house.
:rolleyes: Waits for Marge or Jewelzz to pounce! :p

Seriously though - this is not necessarily an idiotic thing to do entirely - any number of perutations are possible, if the vacuuem were one of those battery ones and had the option to set to blow it would actually, IMHO, not be a bad option. It could even have been one of those "tech" vacuums that are sold especially for you to get the biscuit crumbs out of your keyboard or whatever. The point most of us realise here is that someone gave their machine a rigorous cleaning and then had trouble.

But since the thread has gone that way let's fing out just what vaccuum was used and just how it was applied - why not? :)

Still waiting to hear what Jewelzz or Marge say though - that might be fun :D

Well I am a feminist so, 'I say what I likes and I likes what I says'.

If it's one of those processors that requires 2 power supplies to be hooked in check that... When I rigged up my new PC I left off the second power link and got similar problems. Only saving grace was that it was a new fangled jobby that talks to you and tells you what's wrong :D

guys... keep this on topic... the problem the thread-starter has has not been fixed afaik...

we have a section on these forums for less pertinent stuff and you are free to use em to discuss the intricacies of the sucking power of vacuum cleaners and the like...

if i clear cmos, what does that do to the computer? it resets bios only right? it doesnt touch anything with partion or anything? and to clear the cmos its putting this jumper on this particular thing right? or is it take out battery and put it back?

fantasi said:
if i clear cmos, what does that do to the computer? it resets bios only right? it doesnt touch anything with partion or anything? and to clear the cmos its putting this jumper on this particular thing right? or is it take out battery and put it back?

you can either remove the battery or just move the jumper... preferable to move jumper only...

it will reset only your bios settings...

try booting up with a minimum of devices attached as I suggested previously just to see if the computer POST's...

Sazar said:
you can either remove the battery or just move the jumper... preferable to move jumper only...

move the jumper means i just lift it up then down right? while its off? i heard your not supposed to lift it up when its on. How does removing the jumper clear it? no power = nothing happening? or is it when i remove it, there is no current passing or something like that...

i tried what you said, boot with minimal settings...i took off hdd, and it still didnt go to post...will try again when i go there tommorow to clear the cmos..

will update soon

the cmos is cleared by shorting the power to it... its saved in mem by the battery...

the jumper shorting is the same as removing the battery but its easier on most mobo's than pulling out the battery...

leave it shorted for a few mins and then reseat in default place and start..

your motherboard manual will tell you what the method for clearing the CMOS is... follow the directions :)

Yea, on some mobo's pins 1&2 are shorted to clear with pins 2&3 and normal operation. ect. Just check the mobo manual like sazar said

also, it is generally considered to leave the board unplugged from atx power connector for 10-15 min before clearing the cmos

ok update...mobo is dead i think. vid card works, cpu works. bought a new mobo already. thx for the help guys. although i am gonna bring it to a friends place to see if the mobo is really a rectangular frizbee already.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back