mobo and graphics card which to choose?

Originally posted by bhxtyrant
i would rather get an AMD but i cant seem to find an athlon xp processor that equals 2GHZ the 2200 is like 1.8GHZ so i assume that the 2400 is about 2 gigs but i cant find a price on it know any website that show its specs and price?

:EDIT:never mind i found the price hmm its strange that the P4 and AMD athlon xp 2400 are both 2GHZ yet they are still both $199 isnt AMD usually cheaper when compared to intel?oh well it dont matter since i found a price ill get the athlon 2400 i heard AMD is better then intel

um... you should probably learn a little bit more about what you are putting into your uber system perhaps before you start throwing it together mate...

there are massive differences in architecture and the way the 2 processors work as well as stuff concernnig heatsinks and what not...

you are SURE you want to build this whole thing yourself? you want to put some of the best stuff into your own little machine yet you don't know much about what you are putting in there... I just hope you don't blow it up... (touchwood that will not happen)

but take some time to go around some websites and look at the fundamental differences between the different heatsinks... whether you will NEED to get a massive heatsink... whether you want a pentium or an AMD... though it seems with your motherboard you have selected AMD...

neither is better or worse than the other... it all depends what you look at... intel makes a fine product and amd makes a fine product.... both have advantages over the other and drawbacks...

but like I said please make sure you have some understanding of the workings of what you are putting into your rig in order to get your money's worth..

:)

g.luck

just remember you gotta get a fan with one of those......80mm.......guess if you want to overclock get a higher cfm fan...it will be louder tho......or maybe get a 80mm speed adjustable fan...

oh and reading further into that link the slk800 will fit as well

oh ya and good luck dude:D

when you get it setup...make sure you install some CS:D

i wanna see if my obsolete rig can keep up with yours..lol:p

thanks for all the info and help you all have been most helpful i havent started building it yet at this point ive been checking out different mobo's processors graphics cards ect. and making a list of the parts model numbers and prices for when i start building it.im planning on doing research over the next few weeks on parts and i will probally order the parts and start the building it within a month or month and a half.ill post some pics after im done customizing everything im planning on using a biohazard theme with window on the side with a biohazard symbol and green neon lights i think i pretty much decided the CPU case will be silver so cant wait to get started on this ive been waiting a long time to try custom building heres my chance :)

Originally posted by [CpK]Bastid
oh ya and good luck dude:D

when you get it setup...make sure you install some CS:D

i wanna see if my obsolete rig can keep up with yours..lol:p
obselete lol dont make me laugh but ill be sure to get some online games like CS since i never played it before you gotta take it easy on me:p lol hmm now i want to play it lol i wonder if my current PC can run it 751MHZ duron,448MB ram and crappy old vodoo 2000 PCI graphics card lol now can you see why i want to build a new one?

Yup. It's visible why. Don't forget to get a nice fan with your heatsink.

yep ill probally get the biggest fan possible that will fit the heatsink which i believe is 80mm that means the PC will have a total of 5 80mm fans two front two rear and one for the heatsink sound like enough cooling or should i add more?

stupid question that i think i know the answer to but i want to double check if the mother board says it has an RJ45 lan port does that mean i wont need a network card to connect an external DSL modem.i just connect it to the lan port?

correct. it has built-in ethernet, so you won't need a 10/100 pci card.

hmm seems i got another question lol after debating with myself i decided im going to paint the case i get now for the question what type of paint works best for painting a PC case and PC parts(cd rom front panel)ect.

No idea what paint to use. I like my plain white case. :)

Your fan question:

I think all that cooling will be very much enough, although, I suggest HDD cooling. Hard drives tend to get very hot.

One more thing about the built in ethernet port :

get an ethernet card anyway, in case that one fails. A backup, especially if you have a cable modem, is very very much needed.

i have a westell DSL modem i have a netgear pci network card in my current pc and i am going to get a wireless 4 port router so i can connect both pc's using my dsl connection i think i will probally buy a network card anyway like you suggested but why would the built in ethernet port fail?also i have another question the mobo im getting has an onboard sound card now the question is the built in sound card has "line out" "mic in" and "line in" but next to "line in" it says 2 rear speakers by s/w switch does that mean i hit a switch and can use it as a line out to conect to my surround sound system?

yeah, the line-in probably doubles as a rear speaker-out. hell, the mic-in probably doubles as a center channel-out.

bhxtyrant...I just finished putting my first machine together 2 weeks ago...It takes awhile to pick the parts and will we ever really be happy...lol

AMD better than Intel...a lot of debates over that one.
I do know that AMD runs considerably hotter.
I have seen a few AMD posts with some pretty high temps.

My P4 2.53 oc'd @ 2.83 runs idle @ 29* and 44* @ full load with the Volcano 7+ which has 3 fan speed settings. I run mine on the low setting!!! just over 3000 rpm. It kicks butt. I only have one 80mm intake in front and 2 80mm exaust in back+ PSU.

Even though it's quite a process trying to get all the right parts, It sure is fun huh?

if you buy a chainming style case with a front door then the drive color does not matter since the door will close over it :) sweet heh saves you the trouble...

AMD better than Intel...a lot of debates over that one.
I do know that AMD runs considerably hotter.
I have seen a few AMD posts with some pretty high temps.

My P4 2.53 oc'd @ 2.83 runs idle @ 29* and 44* @ full load with the Volcano 7+ which has 3 fan speed settings. I run mine on the low setting!!! just over 3000 rpm. It kicks butt. I only have one 80mm intake in front and 2 80mm exaust in back+ PSU.

archiectural differences mean that the AMD processors runs hotter... thats basically it.... amd is handling more instructions per clock cycle than intel and therefore is generating more heat...

volcano 7+ is a nice cooler :)

I personally want to get a volcano 9 though... has a beaut red fan and the copper heat sink itself is nice...

I love the thermaltake smart fan lol.... its so cool..

i was gonna get a black chenming case but the cases with doors just dont catch my atteantion and is it just me or do chenming cases look like alienware PC's or is it the other way around?but i think i solved my problem ill just use the little trick to make the cd rom invisible by using a 5.25 inch drive bay cover should work great.ive been reading up on AMD and intel processors and i found out the same thing you said above which is one of the reasons my final choice ended up being AMD i agree the volcano series of HSF's seem to be very well manufatured which led me to end up choosing the volcano 9 over the competition.

Just, be really careful when putting your new PC together. If you need help, physical help from someone, I suggest you ask for it.

nah i dont need any help putting it together ive done it before just not a custom build but i have taken computers apart and reasembled them in new cases i just needed help choosing the best hardware for my needs but if i do need help i know to ask for it its not worth screwing something up after spending all that money on the parts :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back