mobo and graphics card which to choose?

do you know if the volcano 9 or 7 will fit on the gigabyte GA-7VAXP mobo?

once again i have been searching and changed some hardware from my list instead of getting the amd athlon xp 2200 and the gigabyte GA-7VAXP mobo im gonna get a P4 2GHZ processor and a gigabyte ga-8pe667 ultra mobo.but now its back to the question concerning the volcano 9 i still havent found any info concerning if it will fit or not any suggestions?

I think if you try, it will fit. If not that, get another Thermaltake cooler. Something a bit smaller.

Suggestion : go with AMD :)

i would rather get an AMD but i cant seem to find an athlon xp processor that equals 2GHZ the 2200 is like 1.8GHZ so i assume that the 2400 is about 2 gigs but i cant find a price on it know any website that show its specs and price?

:EDIT:never mind i found the price hmm its strange that the P4 and AMD athlon xp 2400 are both 2GHZ yet they are still both $199 isnt AMD usually cheaper when compared to intel?oh well it dont matter since i found a price ill get the athlon 2400 i heard AMD is better then intel

"I think if you try, it will fit. If not that, get another Thermaltake cooler. Something a bit smaller."i would do that if i could but i cant i order my parts through a local PC store but they dont carry the parts they just take the list you make and order them in for you so if i order a volcano 9 and it doesnt fit i dont think it can be returned or exchanged since they dont carry the parts in the store.do you have any recommendations for a good HFS with the power of the volcano but is more like a one size fits all or one that will most likely fit?

looks good and looks like it will definently fit just one question tho it says the max it can be used for is a 2 gig processor so does that mean i cant overclock to anything higher that 2 GHZ

I think that the orb is a fan with a heatsink, if I'm correct. looks weird but cool. um....I don't think you should use that for overclocking things...im just wondering, anyone else see any good suggestions? i dont want Bhxtyrant to be left with only my opinions on the HSF

Looks ok, but sizewise, will that do ( plus id still go with thermaltake )

yes id rather use thermal take products also i e-mailed them and told them the mobo and processor im gonna use and asked if the volcano 9 will fit hopfully they get back to me soon.the one i listed above looks like it will do also looks more cheaply made which is why i like thermal take better

Originally posted by bhxtyrant

:EDIT:never mind i found the price hmm its strange that the P4 and AMD athlon xp 2400 are both 2GHZ yet they are still both $199 isnt AMD usually cheaper when compared to intel?oh well it dont matter since i found a price ill get the athlon 2400 i heard AMD is better then intel

yes AMD is cheaper but you're comparing a "low" end p4 with one of the highest AMD's

if you're not dead set on gettin a volcano 9
I'd suggest you look into Thermalright AX-7 or the SLK-800

SLK-800
slk800.jpg

AX-7
ax7-2.jpg

i like the look of the SLK-800 but how can i be sure if it will fit thats what the problem is lol my friend said check out the mobo specs to see what the maximum size HSF it can take and i dont see any info on that on the specs sheet.any suggestions or do you think that the about two HSF's will fit?

AX-7 it is ill be getting that one since i have absolute proof it will fit.:)

the heatsinks SHOUD fit almost any mobo specially an asus which is a fulll sized mobo :)

the only problem with having such ginormous heat sinks is the strain it puts on the socket that it is attached to... now as long as you don't jerk the case around it should be fine but start jerking it around and you 'might' rip the socket clean off the mobo... :)

trust me I am VERY careful when moving my case around...

yes i know i was reading about that because the heat sinks are so heavy you should limit movement of the CPU case and if you must move your case disconect the HSF first.i have a metal shop at my old school and i know the teacher that works there do you think it would be safe to build some type of stand to help support the weight of the HSF just to be on the safe side?
CPUHSF.jpg
theres a basic idea of what i mean build a stand like structure and drill a few holes in the bottom of the cpu case to secure the stand and the HSF's weight will be supported by the stand.what do you think?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back