mobo and graphics card which to choose?

thats what i was thinking but it must have some type of precaution to keep it from spilling id still be afraid to put that in there tho it might freeze something literally.lol but still for almost 4GHZ it might actually be worth the risk

na not worth it....too impractical........
just for benchmarking tho its interesting

That's true. The benchmark scores are really out of this world

Originally posted by Nick M
I have easy Tune 4 + 3. Both are ok programs, it can automatically over clock for you...but that's not very good overclocking...you can also do manual. I'll fill you more when I get back.

hey Nick M you gonna still fill me in on the info of how to overclock manually?:)

i already know you do it through bios from what i read here i just dont know exactly what to do i never tried it before

assuming u got an amd:
more than likely your cpu is locked meaning you cannot adjust the cpu multipliers.
your only option(other than unlocking the cpu) would be to up the fsb....increase in small increments 1~2mhz just to be safe.
test it out at each mhz increase, before increasing again
run some benchmarking programs to test stability....3dmark, etc...

heres an article

i havent got the computer i want to overclock yet i am custom building it but its not completed yet it has an amd athlon xp 2200+ processor.a quick question the cpu case has two front and two rear fans and a volcano9 heat sink fan would that be enough cooling to overclock? and how high do you think would be safe to O/C the processor i named?:)

How to overclock manually. If you have Easy Tune 4 ( avaliable for download from Gigabyte's website ) and a Gigabyte board, you open the proggie, go to advanced, and there are a whole bunch of things you can overclock. You simply push the CPU speed up pressing a button, then, you press go, " get a warning message about damaging your hardware, skip it anyway, and you're overclocking :)

as far as cooling that should be enough...although i would suggest watercooling if your gonna get serious about OC'ing

as far as how high you could get...dunno...havent read into that....but remember no two systems will overclock to the same level......too many variables to consider...even if using same parts u still might not get same results

if u wanna ask some guys over at amdmb.com im sure they could fill you in better than i

by increasing the fsb speed, you're overclocking everything... memory, pci slots, agp slot, and of course, processor. from 133mhz, if you can get 145mhz, then you're lucky. most likely one of your pci cards or video card or memory (unless you get faster memory) will limit you. so i'd say you're looking at a 10% overclock, at the most.

if you want to overclock your processor alone, you need to unlock it. here's a video that gives you an idea what you need to do:

http://www12.tomshardware.com/images/thg_vid2_ocing_xp.zip

Originally posted by taurus
from 133mhz, if you can get 145mhz, then you're lucky. most likely one of your pci cards or video card or memory (unless you get faster memory) will limit you. so i'd say you're looking at a 10% overclock, at the most.

guess im lucky:D

i just wish there was an easier way to unlock the 2100:mad:

thanks for all the info you all have been very helpful i dont think im going to get in serious O/C yet since this will be my first time trying it ill give it a test learn how to do everything then i might think about building a new computer with the best parts i can find and try serious O/C.i dont think i want to "unlock" the processor because from what i read it voids the warranty so i dont think i want to get into that until i have more expierience.also another question if you overclock using a program like easy tune 4 does that also void the warranty?

here we go again with a question i was just talking to a freind about the PC im building and he was telling me the volcano 9 HSF might not fit on the mobo im getting which is a gigabyte GA-7VAXP does any one know if the volcano will fit or know how i can find out?

Originally posted by bhxtyrant
and how high do you think would be safe to O/C the processor i named?:)

over at overclockers.com they got a 2200 at 2.749ghz watercooled w/peltier tho

the highest air cooled was 2.084
w/ thermalright slk800

safe?:p

we're OC'ing:D

proceed at your own risk, safe would be not to OC;)

Originally posted by bhxtyrant
he was telling me the volcano 9 HSF might not fit on the mobo im getting which is a gigabyte GA-7VAXP does any one know if the volcano will fit or know how i can find out?

still reading up on it......havent come across anything
but just by looking at pics of the board and the volcano9 hsf, it looks like the northbridge hsf might be the problem.....if thats the case...you could easily swap that out with a low profile NB cooler

topangle.jpg

i asked in other forums still no replies as of yet

thanx for helping me out do you have any cooler you would suggest that would fit the mobo if you happen to know of any or where i can check to try and find out?:)sorry for all the questions i can install any hardware in a comp once i have it but when it comes to HFS and all the cooling equipment i have no idea where to find info on it.

something like this except i would need one for 2 GHZ+ right http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11082226&m=488&cat=552&scat=556 check link

definitely don't buy a cooler from bestbuy...

are you looking to water cool or to air cool... coz there are different mechanisms...

water cooling is better/quieter and offers better overclock... air cooling is basically your copper hsf... preferably something like the thermaltake volcano 7 and higher...

volcano 9 is pretty good... or you can buy the thermaltake smartfan and buy a massive copper heatsink and plug the smartfan on toppa that and be happy...

all depends...

im gonna stick with air cooling for the time being im not really a hardcore overclocker yet this will be my first overclocking project so i just want to start learning the basics and then i might upgrade to water cooling in the next pc i build im ot stupid enough to buy a anything of importance from best buy lol i was just using that as an example to find out if i was looking for the right type of HSF.ive been looking at different HSF's and the volcano 9 caught my eye but if it wont fit the mobo ill have to keep looking.how can i find out what size HSF can fit the mobo?i didnt see anything about it on the mobo's specs page

I would get Volcano 9 or 7.

As for easy tune 4, It gives you a warning after you press " go " button to overclock. I would assume you are responsible for any damage you cause...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back