missing computer?

this is a temporary account (hopefully)
still didnt work......
ive been all over the net, and have found similar problems.
(is a router the same as a ethernet hub?)
would it use the same settings?

i give up, i'll try to format my hard drives. wot do u recommend to backup and keep?

a router would be more beneficial for your needs as you wont need to route through the XP machine, instead using the router. What internet connection are you using? I suppose it would only be worth buying a router if you're using ADSL or Cable Modem as that is the technology of now - you'll always be able to sell it in the future ;) Are there even such things as 56k routers though? I've never seen any, but I'm sure there must be.

one thing...
does your Win98 machine ask for a password on boot? And if so, do you enter it in? Just had a thought then that if you dont use a password to log into the Win98SE machine, the network connection doesnt actually work or something like that :rolleyes: I shoulda thought of it earlier tbh

im currently using a cable modem, but i prefer to keep the current setup, thanx for the input though. maybe i shouldnt format, coz of the network. is there a way i can reset the network settings on the win98se machine?
and winxp machine?

easiest way is to go to device manager on both machines, uninstall the network cards and then reboot - that should give you a default setup when its rebooted and reinstalled the card.

I use the WinXP network wizard on the XP machine, but not on the 98SE machine unless I cant get it working any other way - the instructions I gave you previously (on page 1 of this thread) usually work 100% :)

choose the "DNS" tab and enter in that machine's name (for example "WIN98SE" - or whatever the name for your Win98SE machine is) and enter in the workgroup name in the domain field.

is that the "DNS Configuration" tab, where it says "Disable DNS" and "Enable DNS"

if so wot do i put in "Host" "Domain" and "DNS Server Search Order"
thanx

doesnt matter, coz i fixed the problem. i first uninstalled the network adapters, then installed them again. i used the network setup with winxp, then i manually configured win98se with the settings jonifen gave me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back