missing computer?

DarkMaster

OSNN Addict
why cant i see any other computer on my network (in the network nieghbourhood), and they cant see mines either. what have i done wrong? i cant even ping them. one comp is winxp and the other is win98se. i cant even ping them. any ideas?

Originally posted by DarkMaster
why cant i see any other computer on my network (in the network nieghbourhood), and they cant see mines either. what have i done wrong? i cant even ping them. one comp is winxp and the other is win98se. i cant even ping them. any ideas?

how is your network set up??

do u have the win XP firewal enabled?? if so turn it off!

both computers are connected to an ethernet hub with Netgear pci adapters. im using the tcp/ip, and NetBeui protocols.
winxp machine has been given an ip of 192.168.0.1
win98se is 192.168.0.2 and the internet gateway is set to 192.168.0.1 where ICS has been enabled on the winxp machine.
i think thats it, oh, and i have gone through the netsetup thing on both comps with the same options selected.
im sure thats it now. (i still think of my self as a noob to networking so if u see anything wrong just tell me)
thanx again

and printer and file sharing is used on both comps

I wouldnt recommend using NetBEUI for WinXP to Win98SE networking. Instead I would enable NetBIOS over IPX/SPX - works everytime :)

also double check that the correct range is used for the IP (keep them in the same range - 192.168.1.x (replacing x with a number between 1 and 254). Also make sure they're in the same workgroup too.

thanx, i'll try that.
they are on the same work group, and are on the same ip range.

oh well didnt work... thanx anyways for trying...
still cant see them in the network neighbourhood.
they can see themselves.
when i use the ping command i get a message
"request timed out"
if that was any help. my network has been down for a few days now, and a hard drive format is looking like the only solution (sigh)
im still open to any suggestions.

the pic is too big, but i'll just say the settings
winxp
client for microsoft networks
file and print sharing
NWlink netbios
NWlink IPX/SPX/Netbios compatible transport protocol > internal network number 00000000, frame type "Auto-Detect"
Internet protocol (TCP/IP) >IP 192.168.10.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0

win98se
client for microsoft networks
netgear fa311/312 pci adapter
IPX/SPX-Compatible Protocol
NetBios Support for IPX/SPX compatible protocol > Netbios over IPX/SPX, bindings - Client for microsoft networks, File and printer sharing, netbios support for IPX/SPX - compatible protocol, frame type "Auto"
TCP/IP > ip 192.168.10.2, subnet mask, 255.255.255.0, bindings - client for microsoft networks, file and printers sharing, set as default protocol, allow binding to ATM - "yes"
File and printer sharing for microsoft networks
everything else is probably default settings
i hope that was helpful

Do you have an administrator password set for XP? This has been known to cause problems if it is not set or is blank.

Everything seems alright. Sorry to insult your intelligence, but just make sure it's straight cat5 rather than crossover :)

On WinXP, u want the following components...

file and printer sharing for ms networks
client for ms networks
TCP/IP

on TCP/IP properties, put the IP in as 192.168.0.1, subnet as 255.255.255.0

click advanced (still on TCP/IP properties) and go to "WINS" tab and select "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP". Click OK on everything til you're back at desktop.

On Win98SE machine, u want the following components...

file and printer sharing for ms networks
client for ms networks
IPX/SPX
NetBIOS
TCP/IP

go to IPX/SPX properties and select "Enable NetBIOS over IPX/SPX". Click OK

go to TCP/IP properties, put in the IP as 192.168.0.2, subnet as 255.255.255.0

choose the "gateway" tab (I think its labelled that), and enter in 192.168.0.1

choose the "DNS" tab and enter in that machine's name (for example "WIN98SE" - or whatever the name for your Win98SE machine is) and enter in the workgroup name in the domain field.
Enter 192.168.0.1 in the primary DNS field.

Click OK until you're back at desktop - chances are you will need to reboot as its Win98SE :p

Should work fine, those are the same settings I've used in work to get Win98SE and WinXP networked.
If it doesnt work at first, try turning off both machines, wait a moment and turn on the WinXP machine. When that reaches the desktop, turn the Win98SE machine on and try then.

Best of luck :)

edit:
one more thing... set a user account on the WinXP machine with the same name and password as is used on the Win98SE machine, although you can then use any account on WinXP, and it should work OK.

I've found that sometimes it needs it, sometimes it doesnt - I've never figured out why though.

another edit:
if you still cant get it going, or are unsure about where things are, next time I do a Win98SE machine onto a network with WinXP, I'll take screenshots of the settings and put them on my website - it could be extremely useful for many people including yourself :)

thanx, this info looks promising.
again thanx for your help. i'll post my results when i try the new settings
:happy:

wot am i doing WRONG!!! i followed each instruction, and nothings changed. i used to have zonealarm pro, but uninstalled it. maybe its still working in the background. how can i check, and how can i fully remove it?

thanx for the attempt :)

Enable NetBEUI on both machines(not sure if XP still uses it). That should allow your 98se box to talk to XP

opp, someone said that already. Sorry

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back