Mike Rowe

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by Grandmaster, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

You probably already know the story. A teenager named Mike Rowe bought a domain for himself, www.mikerowesoft.com. Obviously he did it on purpose, as when you say that out loud its sounds exactly the same as Microsoft. So then MS came knocking on his door with a lawsuit.

MS got a lot of bad publicity for "picking" on him, and so they recently agreed settle with Mike Rowe after he agreed to pick a new name for his site. What did he get in that settlement? Under the settlement, Microsoft would cover Mike's costs of changing to a new Web site and redirecting traffic from the old site. Microsoft also had agreed to help the Mike Rowe get Microsoft certification training and other gifts, including an Xbox game console. Further, he has been invited to a technology festival in March at the corporation's headquarters in suburban Redmond.

So you'd think this guy got off pretty good with the settlement. But there is more...Now he is selling the letters he recieved from MS on eBay! And he has so far recieved a bid for $540...At first I sympathized with him a bit, but now its is clear he just wants to milk the cow and make as much money off of this as possible...

I can agree he should have recieved some sort of money for his domain but the way he has scammed MS is unbelievable.

2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Fair play to him. If you could get money off Microsoft for simply spending an initial $8, you'd do it to :D

3. Grandmaster

To a certain extent, but he is going to extract every penny he can get off of this...I just don't think he deserves it because of what he did and the way he is acting.

4. Erbmaster

Erbmaster Moderator Folding Team

He ought to thank M$ for all the free publicity they've drummed up for his domain :p and not push his luck after getting away with it.

5. SPeedY_B

What he did? What he did was decide he wanted some money, and he's getting it. I don't see the problem.
    I'm sure **** like this happens all the time, the media just happened to pick up on it, else no one would care or even know.

6. Grandmaster

What he did was choose a name that sounds like Microsoft. I'm pretty sure he'd have to spell out the name to people. He obviously ripped Microsoft's name, but instead of him getting in trouble with the law he is making a lot of $$$. True, a lot of people would do the the same thing, but he just being a pathetic whore.

And there is actually someone who is willing to pay $1024 for the letters...:rolleyes:

7. Petros

Petros Thief IV

And he doesn't produce any software, as the name implies. He's just making a quick buck, but MS deserves a share. It is, after all, their name that he's making money from. "Mike Rowe" is his, but you wouldn't see the masses clamoring to buy that domain name.

8. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I find it unbelievable that the auction is over $1000 with eight days left to go. Why pay that much for "a piece of history?" Rocks at the bottom of the Grand Canyon are freakin' pieces of history too!

*goes to collect rocks to sell on eBay*

9. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I'm right behind you. :p

10. MdSalih

MdSalih The Boss

/me goes to change his name to Micheal Row

MdSalih

11. Erbmaster

Erbmaster Moderator Folding Team

hehe, i'm gonna start a stuffed-bird factory, and sell them through "MyCrow'sSoft.com" :p

It makes ya laugh what people will bid for on e-bay.
    They think 'cos the word auction's in there, it must be a bargain!.
    I've seen TFT monitors sell on there (2nd hand too) for more than you can by a new one for retail!
    The sellers must be loving it. All those niaive punters eager to up each-others
    paying price :D :p

12. Teddy

Teddy Boogie Nights...!

Oh c'mon! A pathetic whore!!!???....there is nothing pathetic in what he's done/is doing whatsoever.

I hope he makes a hell of a lot of money out of it in any way he can...why shouldnt he!!?? You would, I would... and so should he. MS p!ss on people/companies like this all the time, i think it's great someone is getting something back!

I can just imagine you in the same situation as he is right now...ooh, i wonder what you would do.

13. Teddy

Teddy Boogie Nights...!

Where did you get this info from?

14. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

£5 for a decent canyon rock :D

15. SPeedY_B

16. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Express mail, or regular? :p

$1500 and climbing... unbelievable.

17. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

lol that would be soo cool :D:p

18. cruiser78

cruiser78 Me

It must be sad life that the bidders of this item lead if they are willing to pay $1500+ for basically junk that they can't use... it'll just sit there and collect dust.
    I guess one man's garbage is another's treasure eh?
    (I know it's not "garbage to Mike Rowe but you know what I mean.) ;)

19. Grandmaster

I know what you mean, but I woudn't fall the level he has...at least retain some respect for yourself.

20. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

$1500??? :eek:
    What a waste,imagine how many pc's I could build with that :p