Midnight

I have found that the scientific and mathematic definition of "midnight" is either the beginning of the day or the end of the day. For instance, The New York Public Library Science Desk Reference (Stonesong Press, 1995, p. 73) states that "midnight can be designated as 2400 hour of that day, or 0000 hours of the following day."

The on-line version of The Young Reporter Style Book, states that "midnight by tradition is the end of the day, not the beginning of the next one. So if you are writing on Monday morning 'midnight yesterday' means the midnight which just passed, and 'midnight tomorrow' means Tuesday night."

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.
NOUN: 1. The middle of the night, specifically 12 o'clock at night. 2a. Intense darkness or gloom. b. A period of darkness and gloom.

By definition, 12 a.m. denotes midnight, and 12 p.m. denotes noon, but there is sufficient confusion over the meanings of a.m. and p.m. when the hour is 12 to make it advisable to use 12 noon and 12 midnight where clarity is required.

The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. 2001
(UT), the international time standard common to every place in the world, it nominally reflects the mean solar time along the earth’s prime meridian (renumbered to equate to civil time). In 1884, under international agreement, the prime meridian was established as running through the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, England, setting the standard of Greenwich mean time (GMT). In keeping with tradition, the start of a solar day occurred at noon. In 1925 the numbering system for GMT was changed so that the day began at midnight to make it consistent with the civil day. Some confusion in terminology resulted, however, and in 1928 the International Astronomical Union (IAU) changed the designation of the standard time of the prime meridian to universal time. In 1955 the IAU defined several kinds of UT. The initial values of universal time obtained at 75 observatories, denoted UT0, differ slightly because of polar motion. By adding a correction each observatory converts UT0 into UT1, which gives the Earth’s rotational position in space. An empirical correction to take account of annual changes in the speed of rotation is then added to convert UT1 to UT2. However, UT2 has since been superseded by atomic time (time as given by atomic clocks). Universal time is also called world time, Z time, and Zulu time.

In 1964 a new timescale, called coordinated universal time (UTC), was internationally adopted. UTC is more uniform and more accurate than the UT2 system because the UTC second is based on atomic time (although the UTC year is still based on the time it takes the earth to complete one orbit). Because the rate of the earth’s rotation is gradually slowing, it is occasionally necessary to add an extra second, called the leap second, to the length of the UTC year; synchronization is obtained by making the last minute of June or December contain 61 seconds. About one leap second per year has been inserted since 1972.

Midnight
(From International Standard Bible Encyclopedia)

mid'-nit (chatsoth laylah, "middle of the night" (Exodus 11:4; Job 34:20; Psalms 119:62), chatsi ha-laylah, "the half of the night" (Exodus 12:29; Judges 16:3; Ruth 3:8), tokh ha-laylah, "the division of the night" and hence, the middle point (1 Kings 3:20); meses nuktos (Matthew 25:6), or meson tes nuktos, "the middle of the night" (Acts 27:27), mesonuktios, "midnight"; Westcott and Hort, The New Testament in Greek, mesonuktion (Acts 16:25, etc.)): In the period before the exile midnight does not seem to have been very accurately determined. The division of the night was into three watches, the middle one of which included midnight. In New Testament times the four-watch division was used where midnight must have been more or less accurately determined.

ENJOY :cool:

More fun...

The hour (symbolized hr) is a unit of time, equivalent to 3600 seconds (s), 60 minutes (min), or 1/24 of a mean solar day (msd). The hour is also used by astronomers as one of two coordinates that define the positions of objects in the sky.

Informally, time is measured according to a scheme that uses two 12-hr segments per mean solar day. The first segment, a.m., begins at midnight and ends at noon. The second segment, p.m., begins at noon and ends at midnight. Time in this format is written in the form h:mm or hh:mm, where h or hh represents the hour from 1 to 12, and mm represents the minute from 00 to 59.

Astronomers, most engineers, aviators, navigators, and military people use a 24-hour time scheme that begins and ends at midnight. In this format, time is denoted in the form hhmm, where hh represents the hour from 00 to 23, and mm represents the minute from 00 to 59.

In celestial coordinates, the hour (hr) is the standard unit of right ascension (RA). Right ascension is measured from west to east along the celestial equator, an imaginary line in the heavens that lies directly over Earth's geographic equator. There are 24 hr of right ascension in a complete circle; therefore 1 hr is the equivalent of 15 angular degrees (15° or 15 deg). The point RA = 0 is the vernal equinox, the position of the Sun in the heavens as it crosses the celestial equator going from south to north. This occurs annually on March 20 or 21.

Now... It's after "midnight", so I am goin to sleep. :p :cool:

I maintain;

mid night

midnight ends the nighte, it doesn't begin the morning, but

morning will comence from midnight.

hey dave, you're going to love this analogy, though I don't agree with it;

if the start line of a race were also the finnish line of the same race;

the start would begin on the inside of the line

the finnish would end on the outside of the line.

therefore, if anyone thinks midnight belongs to both, the end and the beginning of the day;

then the beginning of the day would start before the end of the day before.

it wouldn't commence from

it would commence before.

I however dissagree with the notion

Actually, when you brake the plane of the "line" the race would start and end. And you brake it at the exact same place.

Example... DAYTONA 500, the Race Cars brake the "line", the race begins. When it's the last lap of the race they brake the "line" to end the race.

Sooooo Dealer... no. :p

Here’s a clue; you can’t have a midnight without the day before and the day after existing (by definition). Don’t confuse someone’s definition of midnight with the original question. It’s like asking if you are six feet tall where does the beginning of the first foot start (sorry about the pun), but harder.

Originally posted by Dave Holbon
Here’s a clue; you can’t have a midnight without the day before and the day after existing (by definition). .

sorry, I still dissagree with this idea, and certainly the statement that this is in the definition

you can surely have a midnight without the next day occurring.

this statement is incorrect..(imo)

mid night

I will maintain,

it ends the night, it does not begin the day

I believe I've read actual legal text as follows;

midnight will end the day, where the new day will commence from midnight.

I also beleive that whatever document might be displayed to prove anyones ideas will be subject to other documents that state otherwise.

personally, common use would prevail over obsolete definition, as this is an evolving language.

I know of no person who thinks nidnight is in the morning.

as it's in the title

mid night

dealer: -

Your stuck in a causation loop attempting to define the word midnight. This has nothing to do with the question.

Don’t apologise for disagreeing, to me this is a good thing. I’ve disagreed with just about everything all my life, sometimes just on principal, but mostly to establish just what or whom I’m dealing with.

dave, I always love the discussion and thought you bring to the table.

of the following, concerning midnight, I am certain.

languages that are in use live and evolve

there is no old definition that can claim to be correct, if it contradicts the current use.

so

show me a person that believes midnight is in the morning.

and I will sow you a person that reads definitions that are flawed

now, I will take a legitimat stab at what I believe you are trying to get to...though I will maintain that the concept is flawed to the current use of the term.

since there is no;

12 o' clock am...

and ther is no;

12 o'clock pm...

the correct term is 12 midnight

and 12 noon

perhaps someone could come up with the notion that 12 midnight belongs to no part of the day, neither today nor tomorrow.

the thought is flawed

Originally posted by dealer
...since there is no;

12 o' clock am...

and ther is no;

12 o'clock pm...

the correct term is 12 midnight

and 12 noon

Actually, there is:

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.
NOUN: 1. The middle of the night, specifically 12 o'clock at night. 2a. Intense darkness or gloom. b. A period of darkness and gloom.

By definition, 12 a.m. denotes midnight, and 12 p.m. denotes noon, but there is sufficient confusion over the meanings of a.m. and p.m. when the hour is 12 to make it advisable to use 12 noon and 12 midnight where clarity is required.

:confused: :cool:

oooohhh

that difinition smarts

I will telly you I've read otherwise, though I have to bow to the definition untill I can find it

gonaads

ouch

ha

websters

current publication

I put in bold the indication, (this should put an end to this discussion),

Main Entry: mid·night
Pronunciation: 'mid-"nIt
Function: noun
Date: before 12th century
1 : the middle of the night; specifically :12 o'clock at night
2 : deep or extended darkness or gloom
- midnight adjective
- mid·night·ly adverb or adjective

need we go on?

read that allready

it is incorrect, as I can now say with confidance, having supplied the correct webster dictionary definition;

Main Entry: mid·night
Pronunciation: 'mid-"nIt
Function: noun
Date: before 12th century
1 : the middle of the night; specifically : 12 o'clock at night

btw

this is my very point

the nature of this discussion will provide sufficient proof, where no person would be able to say his documetation can stand apart.

and so, and as always, when we are speaking about a living and evolving language.

the correcty use is the current popular use, and the current popular definition will supercede obslolete and former difinitions whcih have by their very nature become incorrect and invalid

every single person you speak to will tell you that when they are out at twelve midnight, they are out at night

and it's the current use thaat is correct

in this case, webster is more up to date then the source that you provide

Sorry dealer - I could not resist this:

I start work at 11 PM (2300 hours) and get off at 7:30 AM (0730 hours) - that's my work day - not my work night!

Soooo - I am not out at night at midnight (2400 hours) - I am out on my work day!:p :p :p

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. :cool:

O.K.

Every Day has a Night and every Night has a mid point (the middle of) or as it is called Midnight. Sooooo, there are seven (7) Days in the Calander Week, so there are also seven (7) Nights. Therefore there are seven (7) Midnights each and every Week.

This answers the second of the original questions.
1. On what day does midnight fall?

2. How many midnights are there in a week (seven days)

As for the first question, Midnight does not fall on any Day. It falls at Night. In the middle of the Night.

The End. :cool:

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back