News Microsoft to revamp it's Hotmail

Microsoft's Hotmail is the world's most widely used e-mail service and Microsoft is giving it a huge overhaul. Seems Microsoft is trying to keep it's competitors at bay, like Google's Gmail to name one.

The update to Windows Live Hotmail is designed to remove clutter and permit it's users to interact with other web sites and applications while they are checking their email. This is what Microsoft is saying.

In a blog post at windowsteamblog.com Microsoft program manager Dick Craddock said Microsoft did a study of e-mail usage for about one year while considering these changes.

People made it clear to us that the No. 1 thing they wanted their e-mail service to address -- whether it was Hotmail or any other e-mail service -- was to help them manage the clutter in their inbox; not just the spam, but all the mail they get that's clogging their inboxes,

The new Hotmail will have one key feature that will be a "sweep" feature. It permits it's users to clear/clean out their inbox in one shot.

This feature is of a single-click and will permit the user to select a single e-mail sender, or multiple senders and automatically delete every message from that sender(s).

Another single click will permit users to decide which of their e-mails they want to look at (from people on their contacts list to their social networking sites or whatever).

Microsoft's study showed that only 25 percent of the e-mail that people get is from their contacts list. All else tends to be related to social networks, business, or of purchases they have made online, and of course spam.

Last edited:
I like those changes, although I still think good is better. I am sure google will have something similar or better out soon ..

What I find weird is that Microsoft is very hard trying to rebrand everything under the Windows moniker, specifically Windows Live.

Windows Live Hotmail
Windows Live Mail
Windows Live Messenger
Windows Live Movie Maker
Windows Live Writer
Windows Live Movie Maker
Windows Live Sync
Windows Live Photo Gallery
Windows Live Search (renamed to Bing)
Windows Phone 7
Windows Defender
Windows PowerShell

Those names are long, and what does Windows Live mean anyway? Google Docs, explains exactly what it is, but how does Windows Live Writer compare to Microsoft Word? Yes, Apple does something like it with their i* branding, but it is not trying to put the word Mac in it. Windows Live Hotmail still works on Linux so it is not like it is tied to a particular platform, why put Windows Live in front of it? What is the purpose of it?

Other than that it confuses people as now MSN Messenger is Windows Live Messenger, and now I have to explain to customers exactly what all this Live stuff is and why it was installed, and what it does, and if they can get rid of it. It is really frustrating.

What I find weird is that Microsoft is very hard trying to rebrand everything under the Windows moniker, specifically Windows Live.

Windows Live Hotmail
Windows Live Mail
Windows Live Messenger
Windows Live Movie Maker
Windows Live Writer
Windows Live Movie Maker
Windows Live Sync
Windows Live Photo Gallery
Windows Live Search (renamed to Bing)
Windows Phone 7
Windows Defender
Windows PowerShell

Those names are long, and what does Windows Live mean anyway? Google Docs, explains exactly what it is, but how does Windows Live Writer compare to Microsoft Word? Yes, Apple does something like it with their i* branding, but it is not trying to put the word Mac in it. Windows Live Hotmail still works on Linux so it is not like it is tied to a particular platform, why put Windows Live in front of it? What is the purpose of it?

Other than that it confuses people as now MSN Messenger is Windows Live Messenger, and now I have to explain to customers exactly what all this Live stuff is and why it was installed, and what it does, and if they can get rid of it. It is really frustrating.

Now I may be wrong but isn't all the "Windows Live" software or their software suite just "Cloud" computing?

Well, this is what wiki has on it,
Windows Live is the collective brand name for a set of services and software products from Microsoft, part of their software plus services platform. A majority of these services are Web applications, accessible from a browser, but there are also client-side binary applications that require installation on a user's PC. There are three ways in which Windows Live services are offered: Windows Live Essentials applications, web services, and mobile services.

Windows Live - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sooooo :speechless:

Yeah, it's a microsquish thing. it's not s'posed ta make sense to us. Just make "cents" for them. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back