Microsoft Signs Up Qwest to Host Windows Live

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
Microsoft has signed up its first telecommunications provider in the U.S. to deliver Windows Live services to broadband customers.

The company announced a deal this week with Qwest Communications International Inc. to offer co-branded security, personalized home page and e-mail and instant messaging services. Microsoft and Qwest already have a partnership to offer MSN Premium, an e-mail, calendaring, online security and information-sharing service, to Qwest broadband customers.

The partnership is similar to partnerships rival Yahoo Inc. has in place with service providers such as AT&T Inc. and British Telecommunications PLC to deliver its Web-based services to broadband customers. Microsoft is taking the same tack to partner with service providers to find a broader audience and more revenue for its expanding portfolio of online services.

As part of a new agreement with Microsoft, Qwest beginning later this year will offer customers of Qwest High-Speed Internet Service who have Windows XP computers Windows Live OneCare. The service includes firewall, antivirus and backup software, as well as Microsoft's Windows Defender antispyware technology. OneCare also handles routine maintenance tasks such as defragmenting the hard disk and cleaning up unused temporary files.

Qwest also will offer customers the ability to personalize their Qwest and Windows Live home pages according to individual interests using Microsoft tools and gadgets. Gadgets are mini-applications that allow users to access information, such as current news and weather reports, over the Internet.

Through the deal, Quest also is co-branding Microsoft's Windows Live Messenger and Windows Live Mail services and offering them to its broadband customers.

Microsoft unveiled its plan to offer Web-based services under the Windows Live moniker last November in efforts to compete with Yahoo and Google Inc. on the Internet services front. The Windows Live brand has replaced MSN for Web-based services such as e-mail, search and instant messaging; the MSN portal will be a site for entertainment and news content going forward.

Source: InfoWorld

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back