Microsoft Expression Web Beta 1

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by kcnychief, Sep 7, 2006.

1. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Microsoft has released Microsoft Expression Web Beta 1, and it is definitely worth giving it a spin. This is the product that will eventually phase out Microsoft FrontPage, mostly because FrontPage produces horrible code results.

Expression Web is a professional design tool that helps you create and work with:
    • Standards-based Web sites
    • Sophisticated CSS-based layouts
    • Extensive CSS formatting and management
    • Rich data presentation
    • Powerful ASP.NET 2.0-based technology
    Get the Free Trial: http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/en/web_designer/wd_free_trial.aspx

Take a tour and demo: http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/en/web_designer/demos.mspx?v=wd_layout

2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

3. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

I'll deffo give this a whirl - mainly because it is free... still will use my trusty notepad too!

Any idea how long it is free for? And I hope there is no lock in that means my pages die when it is no longer free? It DOES produce the equivalent of compiled code (not interpreted)? Right?

4. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

I think it's until March 2007 :) I can't imagine they would be able to implement any kind of lock, especially one that couldn't easily be undone!

5. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

The said "lock" is the same one they use to expire beta operating systems. However, Web is in the beta 1 phase so there is potential for problems.

6. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Yeah sorry I wasn't clear about that, I meant that I can't imagine they would be implement any kind of lock that would lock out all webpages made by Expression Beta 1. At least I hope not!

7. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

installed - remains to be seen when I have time to play....

PS
    I understood that, but gbood to clear up in case anyone took your post out of context and misunderstood it - in any case this would really be an issue for me, so I'll be looking into it and also when the beta ends I am highly unlikely to part with any £'s for this, so I'll be the guinea pig if my assessment was wrong I guess :eek:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006