Meta Refresh

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by Electronic Punk, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I use WhatsupGold here at work on a plasma and have it set to poll the sites and refresh every 30 seconds (soon to be reduced to 30 seconds)

I am using the web-browser side of WUG and can therefore customise it as much as I like. Currently uses a meta refresh to update the page every 30 seconds (soon to be 15).. and it flickers... would really like a cleaner way of refreshing the page, ie an invisible transition :eek: :)

Anyone got any suggestions? Won't get to put any into action until tomorrow, but will be trying (if anyone has any ideas) these things tomorrow.

Javascript is allowed :p - but I will have to modify it to work with ASP correctly.

2. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

I am sure some javascript can do this, using a preloader of some sort, which caches the reloaded page, and using a nice javascript transition to slowly replace the items/whole page with the new contents.

I am curious, what do you mean by 'it flickers'? Do you mean the plasma screen itself flickers or is WUG somehow flickering? Oh and what is WUG? Is the browser component based on IE?

3. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

use some good old PHP (if poss)

Code:
    header("Location: $new_url");
    but don't think can have a 30 second delay (of course it would be easy to set a loop to do it

4. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Code:
    header("Refresh:30;URL=index.html");

This is how you refresh in PHP ;) change the 30 in any seconds you want and the index.html is the page you want to load :).

5. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

Can still do it the other way if that still proves flicky :)

6. Electronic Punk

Yeah, the same kind flicker you see if you press f5 on a local webpage, disappears for a slip second. I don't want that :(

7. Electronic Punk

<META http-equiv="REFRESH" content="<%APPLICATION_SETTINGS% WEB_REFRESH_RATE>">

Basically HTML with variables, so should be easy to remove if I can get the javascript code.

8. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Oh wait, I see what you mean. I don't know how much the content to be refreshed actually is, but you can put the static content in a page and put the nonstatic stuff in an iframe in the middle of the page, so only that part dissapears for a second.

You can also use a DHTML transition, but that only works with IE and variants. I don't know where the browser you use is based off, but you can use that if you want. How, I am not sure, since I have never done this. Maybe a javascript can do that, but I have to try first.

9. Electronic Punk

Tried javascript and it worked perfectly in the browser, but Active Directory cocked it up :(

10. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

What has the AD to do with websites? :huh:

11. Electronic Punk

****, been saying that all day.
    active desktop :p

12. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Hehe, can happen, don't worry. Anyway, the browser you are referring to in your first post ('the web-browser side of WUG'), is that based of IE? Or another, alternative browser, created by WUG? I have never heard of WUG, so that's why I am asking.

13. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Oh and what did the Active Dir... Desktop 'cocked up' exactly?

14. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

active desktop always cocks stuff up.