Menus

bandmaster

Olympic Trombonist
I really like the horizontal menu that NTFS uses, especially getting a search box to appear direct from it, also the way that "search" and "quick links" uses a wipe effect when displaying the drop-down. Can I get someting like this for my site? - http/www.lincolnband.net - How's it done?

Please explain in simple terms - I am a novice.

There are 2 ways you can do this for your self.

1) Learn how to program, and read up on CSS and Javascript.

2) Buy VBulletin.

I suggest the first as it is more fun.

could also fudge the coding entirely as I would - make a small swf that has all the functionality and animation you need, then embed it in a layer higher than that of the rest of the page content, using the transparent background tag in the html
<param name = "wmode" value = "transparent">

granted, this way makes for more stuff to download, but the functionality is limitless

And people like me who have no flash are stuck looking at a page that has no way to navigate around it.

Flash, if used within certain limits, can make a site look pretty elegant. Sites made entirely with Flash or with huge pointless Flash animations all over the place, on the other hand, are just a pain.

X-Istence said:
And people like me who have no flash are stuck looking at a page that has no way to navigate around it.

You're the exception, not the rule.
tongue.gif

X-Istence said:
Get flash. No Flash = no badgers!

SPeedY_B: could you email macromedia asking if they have a FreeBSD version? Same with you Netryder.

They have none for FreeBSD, thus i am unable to use it. Second, if you want all kinds of people to visit your site, you should make people like me the rule, and not an exception.

But that is up to you, for me alt + f4 is closer by than a Flash plugin for Firefox for FreeBSD, so its up to the site designer. Really, i lose nothing not having flash, no annoying adverts, no random music playing, no stupid advertisements and whatnot.

X-Istence said:
Second, if you want all kinds of people to visit your site, you should make people like me the rule, and not an exception.

I was just pulling your leg.
tongue.gif

Honestly, I'm not really into Flash myself. You've probably already noticed that since you've visited my site.

If that was just pulling my leg, i am worried what you would do if you would rip my leg off :p

He'd actually get you a version of flash for FreeBSD.

If you were really desperate to get flash on FreeBSD though, you could try getting wine to run under the linux compatibilty binaries, and then getting fire fox for windows w/ flash running under that.

besides X got flash working in BSD via the linux plugin wrapper as did I :)

ignipotentis said:
He'd actually get you a version of flash for FreeBSD.

If you were really desperate to get flash on FreeBSD though, you could try getting wine to run under the linux compatibilty binaries, and then getting fire fox for windows w/ flash running under that.

I get away from Windows for certain reasons, now you are saying i should run something so i can run windows apps?

No thanks buddy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back