Menus VERY slow...

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by HawkeyeLonewolf, Aug 29, 2002.

1. On my laptop the Start Menu and even IE menus are VERY slow to load and open. Using the pointer device this is a real pain. Is there a way to speed these up or improve the caching of them so the first time is slow, but after that they are fast?

2. allan

allan Guest

No, but you can change the speed with which menus display every time:

Start - Run - Regedit
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Control Panel \ Desktop \
    in the right pane double click on MenuShowDelay and lower the value (default is 400 - lower is faster - 0 is fastest)

or use a third party tweaking utility such as tweakui, tweakxp or x-setup if you don't want to mess with the registry.
  3. It's there and set to 0, but is a string value, is this correct?
  4. allan

allan Guest

I believe the default is a string value not dword, yes.
  5. Then, shoot, it hasn't helped. I made that change a couple of months ago.
  6. What about a setting for navigating the menus? Is there a way for it to detect movements faster?
  7. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

Some things you could try:

The Windows XP Theme will slow things down a little (switching back to Windows 2000 style may help a little).

In Display Properties -> [Appearance Tab] -> Effects turn off the transition effect.
    Also, turn off shadows under menus.

Propably the most important thing is to turn of shadows under menus. This has the greatest impact on performance - at least on lower end video cards (not sure about Geforce or better).
  8. That fixed it!!!!! WOO HOO!!!