Memory troubles (?)

Z

ZeroChaos

I installed some new memory today, a 256MB SDRAM 133Mhz. Just for the record, I was a little rough installing it, pushing hard and prodding it a bit. My computer seems to randomly reboot now, for some reason. I get a BSOD saying "Bad Pool Caller" and then some advice from XP and then some technical information - "***STOP : 0x0000000c2 (0x00000cD4, 0x00000000, 0xE1c7c008)." I have absolutely no idea what this means, but I assume it's something to do with the RAM because I had never had this problem until I installed it.

Any advice?

(Note that the memory was given to me by a very good friend on the internet. I was going to buy 2 x Crucial 256MB 133Mhz sticks myself until he told me he had one spare, so I accepted his offer.)

My system specifications are

Pentium 3 800Mhz Coppermine
Microstar MS-6323
Creative Labs Geforce 2 GTS 32MB
1 x 128MB 133Mhz SDRAM and 1 x 256MB 133Mhz SDRAM

After one read of that article, I am tempted to send the person back, his memory :)

Does it have to do with the memory then? I couldn't make heads or tails of all the technical jargon.

You might try pulling the 128mb chip and see if the problem still happens. If not then it might have to do with a memory mismatch AND you'd have gained 128mb of ram.

yes it is to do with memory

In windows2000 i had bought a client 2x128mb (on seperate occasions, and seperate suppliers) chips for each of the two computers i built him
put them in and bang.
that bsod came up bad pool caller

figured that the only thing it coudl have been was ram
changed it and it was fine.

What it was is that, that abit board (abit sa6) doesnt seem to like double sided dimms.
changed it for a single side and it was fine

Working fine now, I pulled the 128MB stick out. I want to add another 256MB stick in, in addition to the 256 stick I already have. Is this risky, considering what happened between the 128MB stick?

it wont have affecte dthe 128mb
90% i would say that 128 is fine! its just a chip your board doesnt like

try it out... if it doesnt i guess u could send it back but no guts no glory :)

for my ref... could you tell me if the 128 was double sided or not
and that the chip in your machine that does work 256 i think you mentioned... is double sided or not.

would be interesting.

Both memory sticks weren't double sided. The 128MB SDRAM 133Mhz was Infineon. The 256MB SDRAM 133Mhz was Hyundia.

Getting back to my previous question, would it be wise of me to add another 256MB stick in? I'm thinking of getting Crucial RAM, but I'm not sure if I will experience errors again. :(

I've seen this windows error before and it "can be" caused by the memory in "bank 0" being faster then the memory in "bank 1".

If your getting the BSOD with 128mb in "bank 0" and the 256mb in "bank 1"... switch them and give it a shot....

Hope it works for ya....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back