Memory Timings which is best?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wingman411, Nov 20, 2004.

1. wingman411

wingman411 OSNN Senior Addict

PC 2700, 2x512 (1gb) in dual channel.
    Processor: AMD 2500 running at 200x11.5 2.31GHz
    XP pro
    ABIT NF7-S mb
    Which is better and why?

Memory timings: 2.5 3 3 6 or 2.5 3 3 7 or other

no voltage mod

2. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

The lower the better but only if your RAM can handle the timing ... other wise you end up w/ BSOD or could even not post I suppose.

3. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

buy crucial ballistix as it runs at 2-2-2-5 at stock speeds ;D

or clock yours to 2 2 2 5 and see what happens.

4. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

this is what happends to me wheni mess with mine ggoing from normal to optimal in my bios only way to get back is reset the cmos hehe..

5. Temperal

Temperal OSNN Junior Addict

I'm running the AN7 motherboard and I find 2-2-2-11 to be the best timings. If your memory is more likely to be stable at 2.5 I would consider 2.5-3-3-11. I used Sandra's memory bandwith to test various configurations and ended up with 11 being the best for bandwidth. I drew this conclusion after reading about it from others with NForce based boards on the ABIT forum: ABIT USA Forum
    If you scroll about halfway down there is a section for NForce 1&2 motherboard discussions. There is also an overclocking section clear at the bottom.
    If you have the time and the patience I would consider downloading Sisoftware's Sandra and doing some memory benchmarks to see what works best for you. Hope this is helpful, good luck.
    Temperal

6. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

Yes on the duel channel boards the tras 11 or 10 or 9 with 3 3 3 , or 2 2 2 or 3 3 2.5

But in the end there is no real world difference with 11 3 3 3 and 11 2 2 2 a few extra points in a bench mark is all you see.

I have tested all the possible ways with 4 different nforce boards and found that what works best is what is 100% stable and that is what really matters.

peace