Memory\RAM problems.

andy_rose

OSNN Veteran Addict
Yo yo guys :)
I have a problem here. You see, I went out and bought some more ram ddr 512 mb) for my abit bd711.
I already have 1 gig ram, but thought I needed some more with Vista installed. Anyway, the mortherboard have 3 slots, and is capable of 2 gig ram.
Now to my problem, I have placed the ram, booted up but it still only shows 1 gig ram? I have tried to use only the new ram I bought, and it is no problem with it. I also fired up CPU-Z, and there it shows that I have 1.5 gig ram, and all 3 slots shows also. Any one have a clue what a poor man can do???

Andy

Where does it show 1GB? If CPU-Z shows 1.5GB then it's definitely registering somewhere, I assume your BIOS shows the same?

It only shows 1.5 in cpu-z. in my BIOS as well as when I right-click "my computer" it only shows 1 gig. I did some searching in the Abit forum, and here's what I found:

"The third memory slot was to allow people to use older 1 sided memory
sticks. The Intel chipset only supports 4 "sides". Most large memory
sticks have memory on both sides (2 sided). So two 2 sided memory
sticks would have 4 sides and fill up your machine, even though you
would have one open slot. To help builders out Abit set up slot 2 and
3 so that they can take one 2 sided memory stick or two 1 sided memory
sticks.

As I remember slot one on the MB supports side 1 & 2. Slot two
supports side 3 & 4 and slot supports 4 & 3. So you can put a single
sided memory stick in both slot 2 and slot 3 and it will work. But
you can only put one 2 sided memory stick in slot 2 or 3 (I think 2 is
prefered) but you can not put a 2 sided stick in both 2 & 3 slots

Slot one on the MB will support a 1 sided or 2 sided memory stick.

The BD7II should support 2 gig of memory. So a one gig memory stick
should do the trick and leave a slot open for expansion, but that
would be the most expensive solution. If you get two 512K sticks that
would be cheaper but fill up the usable MB slots. All the 512K memory
sticks that I know of are 2 sided, so when you fill up your machine
slot 3 on the MB will be open, but not usable."

My english aint that great, but I think I know what he means..basiclly that I've fu**ed up and bought ram I cant use...LOL
Anyway, thanx for listening :D

How many of the memory sticks have ram chips on 2 sides?

If 2 or more have chips on both sides then there is nothing you can do except return the memory.

If you have 2 sticks with memory chips on just one side you can put those in slots 2 & 3 and the double sided stick in slot 1 and you should see the extra RAM.

Yeah, thanx for your answers guys. All 3 have 2 sides, so the mem's already returned. Gonna go for 2 sticks with 1 gig each instead. Thanx again guys :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back