memory could not be read!!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Dr3w, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Dr3w

Dr3w Guest

can anyone help me solve this error- i have only had it so far when using 3dsmax 3.1, but i tried to find a solution to the issue and only found help for windows 2000

something about when over 260 characters are used blah blah i didnt really understand and it wasnt relevent ot my situation anyway.

please help if u can

2. PC-Dude

PC-Dude Guest

I don't know what the problem is but I get that exact same error everyday but just with all different programs, games and apps. Getting very annoying and I have run 20 different memory tests and everyone passed. :confused:

3. Dr3w

Dr3w Guest

i read on this site http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q267858&

that the problem
    there is a fix for windows 2000 here- some update patch but i cant find an equivelant for xp:mad:

4. PC-Dude

PC-Dude Guest

That's the same error I get but it's not from what they say on that page.

"is caused by a file extension that contains more than 260 characters to the right of the period. The buffer overfills and causes the error message to occur"

I get it with all types of programs and games no matter how many characters.

Paint Shop Pro
    Photoshop
    NHL 2002
    SOF II
    Outlook XP
    Word
    Excell
    etc.....and it comes right out of the blue, even if i'm not using the program that causes the error.

I'm kinda hoping a fresh install of XP with SP1 slipsteamed will fix it.
    If I find a fix or whatever I'll be sure to let you know and if you find anything email me at brex24@hotmail.com or pc_dude@hotmail.com
    Good Luck

5. Dr3w

Dr3w Guest

thanks alot- ps have u updated xp recently like downloaded newst patches n stuff from microsoft?

i have not tried this yet

If u do find anything please email me @

drewrobertson@hotmail.com

:D

6. PC-Dude

PC-Dude Guest

7. Dr3w

Dr3w Guest

cheers- still none the wiser though!

what graphics card/ drivers are u currently using?

8. PC-Dude

PC-Dude Guest

I have a Visiontek Geforce 3 with the latest official drivers.

9. Dr3w

Dr3w Guest

i have a gforce2 with latest drivers (30.82's)

Do u fink the drivrs could be at fault? or evne summit like directX?

hmm whats u thoughts

10. PC-Dude

PC-Dude Guest

I've tried every set of drivers Nvidia has leaked or released. Had the same problem, however I removed Zone Alarm and enabled the XP firewall 2 days ago and I havn't had the error yet.......and I stress YET! We'll see what happens but I wasn't gonna mention it just yet because I don't want to ruin the 2 days of no swearing :)

11. PC-Dude

PC-Dude Guest

12. Dr3w

Dr3w Guest

just because its different sections of memroy being read does not make it a seperate problem

the link i posted earlier reffered to all 0xXXXXXXXX errors- so its not just all the ones with same numbers

13. PC-Dude

PC-Dude Guest

That's true....well I'm still error free since uninstalling zone alarm :)

I uninstalled it about a month ago but still had the errors maybe the full uninstall I did helped. I removed all registry entries and references to ZA also.