memory could not be read!!

D

Dr3w

can anyone help me solve this error- i have only had it so far when using 3dsmax 3.1, but i tried to find a solution to the issue and only found help for windows 2000

something about when over 260 characters are used blah blah i didnt really understand and it wasnt relevent ot my situation anyway.

please help if u can

Originally posted by Dr3w
can anyone help me solve this error- i have only had it so far when using 3dsmax 3.1, but i tried to find a solution to the issue and only found help for windows 2000

something about when over 260 characters are used blah blah i didnt really understand and it wasnt relevent ot my situation anyway.

please help if u can

I don't know what the problem is but I get that exact same error everyday but just with all different programs, games and apps. Getting very annoying and I have run 20 different memory tests and everyone passed. :confused:

i read on this site http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q267858&

that the problem

there is a fix for windows 2000 here- some update patch but i cant find an equivelant for xp:mad:

That's the same error I get but it's not from what they say on that page.

"is caused by a file extension that contains more than 260 characters to the right of the period. The buffer overfills and causes the error message to occur"

I get it with all types of programs and games no matter how many characters.

Paint Shop Pro
Photoshop
NHL 2002
SOF II
Outlook XP
Word
Excell
etc.....and it comes right out of the blue, even if i'm not using the program that causes the error.

I'm kinda hoping a fresh install of XP with SP1 slipsteamed will fix it.
If I find a fix or whatever I'll be sure to let you know and if you find anything email me at brex24@hotmail.com or pc_dude@hotmail.com
Good Luck

thanks alot- ps have u updated xp recently like downloaded newst patches n stuff from microsoft?

i have not tried this yet

If u do find anything please email me @

drewrobertson@hotmail.com

:D

cheers- still none the wiser though!

what graphics card/ drivers are u currently using?

cheers- still none the wiser though!

what graphics card/ drivers are u currently using?

I have a Visiontek Geforce 3 with the latest official drivers.

i have a gforce2 with latest drivers (30.82's)

Do u fink the drivrs could be at fault? or evne summit like directX?

hmm whats u thoughts

i have a gforce2 with latest drivers (30.82's)

Do u fink the drivrs could be at fault? or evne summit like directX?

hmm whats u thoughts

I've tried every set of drivers Nvidia has leaked or released. Had the same problem, however I removed Zone Alarm and enabled the XP firewall 2 days ago and I havn't had the error yet.......and I stress YET! We'll see what happens but I wasn't gonna mention it just yet because I don't want to ruin the 2 days of no swearing :)

just because its different sections of memroy being read does not make it a seperate problem

the link i posted earlier reffered to all 0xXXXXXXXX errors- so its not just all the ones with same numbers

That's true....well I'm still error free since uninstalling zone alarm :)

I uninstalled it about a month ago but still had the errors maybe the full uninstall I did helped. I removed all registry entries and references to ZA also.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back