Memory and XP.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by a dreams forever, Feb 11, 2009.

1. a dreams forever

a dreams forever OSNN Addict

I have windows xp and 4 gigs of memory. It only shows it having 2 gigs. It shows the 4 gigs in the task manager but when I look at properties of the computer *and other programs* it shows 2. I know that it is a windows xp thing but my question is, Is it using my 4 gigs and windows xp just doesn't show or is it only using 2? When I move the memory sticks around I can get it showing 3 gigs heh.

2. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

XP seriously has little business with more than one gig, IMHO. I have a vague recollection that it might only use up to two - but this is really a 64 bit versus 32 bit issue, because you have to be using 64 bit to make any sensible approach to addressing more than 4GB of memory.

I guess the point is it is academic - you're highly unlikely to be using more than two anyway.

3. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

32bit os will only at most use 3.25gb - they just say limit is 3.5gb - if you have to move stick about i would say clean out your mem slots, most older 32bit programs do have a 2gb mem limit, but not all