Media Player freezes!!!

• Thread starter Spaceman_Bob
  • Start date
S

Spaceman_Bob

OK here's my problem:

Anytime I try to play ANY media in Windows Media Player (AVI, WAV, MP3, DIVX encoded AVI, MPG, anything!) It says "opening media . . . " at the bottom and the little arrows go for like 5 seconds, then the whole program freezes and I have to end task it. Before this started happening (no I haven't done anything drastic to my computer that would cause this behavior), The arrows would only go for 1 second or less. HELP!

There is a good chance that the avi file you are working with is corrupt/unfinished. There also may be an incompatibility with codecs, so you may want to try different versions of the divx codec.

Also, try a different media player. BSplayer is far superior to media player, give it a shot:
http://www.bsplay.com/

go to the downloads and get the newer version 0.84.487 I believe.

http://www.bsplayer.com is another site, but not as updated. If I recall right http://www.bsplayer.cjb.net is the official site, but its down so check back.

Good luck

Oh, I didn't see that it was all media you were having a problem with. I'd still try alternatives to media player, unless for some reason you are married to that resource hog. Winamp and bsplayer are much better than media player. Give windowsupdate a shot, I don't recall any updates for media player, but you never know. (I am assuming you are using xp so that you have the newest version, if not then you have to upgrade media player)

well i actually don't care for WMP all that much, I never really looked into any GOOD alternatives. Does BSplayer also support quicktime and realmedia filetypes? I have these players too, but it would be cool if I could just have one instead of three....
I only use WMP for videos that aren't divx, I've got the playa for divx movies, and i use winamp for any audio media.

WOW does BSplayer load slow!!!
I've got a P4 - 1.3, 640 MB RDRAM, and it takes at least 10 seconds to load! One thing I liked about Windows Media Player was that when you click on a movie, you were watching it within a second! Any other suggestions for BETTER 3rd party players? I don't need lots of crazy options, just need support for lots of file-types and codecs, and hopefully quick-loading

bump
can someone please help with a suggestion, or with a way to fix the orignal problem? thanks!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back