Media Center PC

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by BouncingSoul, Oct 13, 2004.

1. BouncingSoul

BouncingSoul Stranger Than Fiction Political User

Anyone out there ever tried the Media Center version of XP? MS's site says that it can do live video capture if you have a cap card. Well I do and I think capture is a pain in @SS to do right so I was thinking this would be a cool and easy little way to do it. However if all it is a plugin to WMP10 I'll be mad cause I already have WMP10 but can't seem to find a way to view or record TV.

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

It's not a plugin for WMP. There is a separate front-end called the "Media Center" built into the OS, and one of its features is to capture and store live TV from a TV tuner card (much like a DVR box). From what I've seen and heard, it's as simple as clicking a button on the supplied remote control.

Incidentally, did you watch the "Digital Media Anywhere" keynote presentation that MS had in Los Angeles today? There was a live web stream this morning, but if you missed it, they're going to have a downloadable version available soon. I thought it was very cool how they've connected all these devices together to really allow you to have your digital media anywhere. I think the live demo would probably answer your questions about MCE. I'll try to post a link to it when it becomes available. :)

BouncingSoul likes this.
  3. BouncingSoul

BouncingSoul Stranger Than Fiction Political User

Sweet. Thanks

4. NetRyder

By the way, there's also a nice, in-depth review by GamePC that I linked to on the front page a couple of days ago. It's definitely worth a read if you're interested in MCE 2005.

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_con...11AAD5258BA927FF0AFF571B7E1EB940B3A18C81F69DC

Especially relevent to your question:

5. NetRyder