Me/xp

trackrat

Birmingham UK
A friend of mine is having my old computer (AMD 2200xp processor / 2x512mb crucial DDR ram ASRock mobo / Maxtor 80gb / maxtor 40gb )
He has asked me to put Windows ME & Windows XP on the two hard drives.
Has anyone got this configuration and are there any pitfalls to installing XP after ME has been installed.
When I put the mobo drivers on do I need to do the same for XP, or will the drivers suffice for both OS`s.

oh and xp and Me use seperate drivers just incase you're hellbent on installing ME anyway :D

The reason he wants ME installed is he has a broadband USB modem that refuses to work with XP but works well with ME.
Personally I think ME is the pits but that is the set up he wants.
SO I will have to install the Mobo drivers Twice the once for ME & once for XP?.

Why not try to figure out why it doesnt work in XP, it should. Why not call up the ISP's tech support, maybe get an ethernet modem which are better.

Do as AM suggests. AM knows best.

WinME is a security risk being online by itself, and it's not patched by Microsoft anymore.

Heeter

He has called the ISP`s technical support loads of times and they have tried all sorts to get it to work with xp and no luck.
He is to tight to buy another modem.
I know what AM says makes sense but how do you make an obstinate tight fisted person see sense??????????????. :)
Thay say the customer is always right even if you know better.

TrackRat,

Can't he score one used? This seems like soo much work and sooo unsecure just to achieve something that can be fixed with other equipment. Post the make/model, maybe someone can locate a driver that will work.

Hey Admiral,

I noticed that on your Sig, you are using 333mghz RAM. Why not use that 3200+ to it's full extent by moving to 400mghzRAM, especially since you got an awesome mobo.

Heeter

Heeter said:
TrackRat,

Can't he score one used? This seems like soo much work and sooo unsecure just to achieve something that can be fixed with other equipment. Post the make/model, maybe someone can locate a driver that will work.

Agreed, ME sucks, period. Don't install unless you have no other choice.

If he is too tight to get the other modem, explain to him the amount of time/work going into a double boot setup with something as crappy as ME will cost him more in the long run more likely than getting a new modem.

Hey Admiral,

I noticed that on your Sig, you are using 333mghz RAM. Why not use that 3200+ to it's full extent by moving to 400mghzRAM, especially since you got an awesome mobo.

Heeter

There is no significant improvement. Granted they are synched and throughput/bandwidth goes up but real-world/non benchmark differences are not that tangible.

If it can be run with 400mhz DDR, excellent, if not, no biggie I think.

I have made him see sense, so I wil soon be searching for XP drivers for his modem.
What a relief, and thanks for your spot on advice.

trackrat said:
I have made him see sense, so I wil soon be searching for XP drivers for his modem.
What a relief, and thanks for your spot on advice.

Good!!! This will be much easier for him. BTW, I used to have a quad boot system, so I think I can well chime in here. I used to quad boot between DR DOS 7.03, win98 (and yes I did put ME on there for awhile and it is the pits), winNT 4.0 (then win2k), and Linux. With winXP, I don't load win9x anymore...and haven't seen a reason to.

Of all the programs I own, there is only 1 that would require win9x. It's an old game (Direct X 1.0 variety) and one that the <bleep> programmers decided to code in mixed 16/32-bit code just like win95 was written. Because it's not a true 16-bit app, nor a true 32-bit app, winNT 4.0/2k could never run it, and I doubt winXP could either. It would not fit well in either the win16 or the win32 environmental subsystems...

Except if I needed to run such software, I would not load win9x today (and only did in the past as winNT 4.0 and even 2k wasn't up to task for running all the games out there...) And even then I'd probably load 98SE over ME...

As to ME, I only got it as I had a MSDN subscription at the time. It did suck and I'd avoid it like the plague (and yes I had experience with this). The MSDN subscribers in their own chat forum on Microsoft's servers were talking about how bad this was. Many MSDN subscribers were refusing to load it on their comps, despite the fact they got the CD for it "free" ever since it entered into release candidate status...

rackrat said:
He has called the ISP`s technical support loads of times and they have tried all sorts to get it to work with xp and no luck.
He is to tight to buy another modem.
I know what AM says makes sense but how do you make an obstinate tight fisted person see sense??????????????.
Thay say the customer is always right even if you know better.

Doesnt the ISP supply the modem? Mine does, altho I pay $10/month its better only cause if it dies I get a new one for free (Sympatico Users: Call up the accounting and sign a one year contract, if you do they knock the modem rental.)

Heeter said:
TrackRat,
Hey Admiral,

Well I have one OCZ 512MB PC3200 stick and one Generic PC2700 Stick, I wanted more ram so until I can find the funds, Im gonna run the 1GB instead. Its running in dual channel 333 too.

Im jnot much of a gamer so a small boost wont matter too much, I was able to play HL2 well with this setup (maybe even better as the board I orig played it on died).

Cool, AM.

Now I remember reading one of your posts somewhere as you putting this machine together that you weren't into gaming much.

Heeter

I have found the drivers so I will go over saturday and set it up for him.
In the UK you can just buy a modem then select your ISP so no support from the ISP if your modem has problems.
I use cable and have had no problems with my modem which is now 5 years old.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back