.me domain names

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by Mainframeguy, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

Call me slow on the uptake, but I only recently realised that the "new" .me domain naming extensions would be open to application with a verb... So that we can expect an auction tomorrow for the likes of marry.me date.me buy.me and fly.me....

Now I could not help taking this to another place and realising there would be all sorts of expletives applied that are commonly used as exclamations of surprise/delight/horror or just plain swearing... Needless to say these will probably go to auction too... Though I found B****R.ME is already owned in SF no less!

It got me thinking that IF I had unlimited funds I should love to buy out the F***.ME domain - not to populate iot with any pron or anything - rather to make a site along the lines of an outlandish Guinness Book of Records, slanted towards blog linkage and net news - with things you would never believe - prompting the remark.... "Well blow me down with a feather!" Or more commonly - "F*** me!".

Any other thoughts on this? And is THIS the reason .me domains generally are higher priced than the others? Or is that just shiny newness? Cause I remember .info being a bargain whilst still new also.

2. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

you forgot bite.me ;)

3. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

You'll probably find .me belongs to some country or small island and they apply a tax to it in return for letting the whole world use it, like .tv and .fm. It supplements the governments income on the side without hitting the residents.

4. Mainframeguy

naaah what I heard was they introduced it like personalized plates - for personal use. Unless someone knows better.... see here

5. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

6. Mainframeguy

I stand corrected! Lucky old Montenegrans!