McAfee Problem

ming said:
sooo... what if it says something like 127.0.0.1 www.yahoo.com?? or 127.0.0.1 abcdefg?

the abbc... entry isn't going to make a difference.

If you have that for yahoo, you wouldn't be able to access it. You can block ads via the host file by doing this, google for IE-SPYAD

j79zlr, is there anything else I need to do?

And how did I get this virus? I just downloaded iTunes 4.5 yesterday, I don't think it came with that.

It's getting really annoying now. These two always pop-up now. :mad:

IMHO McAfee is the worst popular AV out there, I always remove it if it is on a PC I work on. I've seen it let more viruses though than any other AV program. I recommend using AVG [link I provided earlier]. The Free ed. works perfectly fine, but I do suggest if you are impressed to purchase the 2 yr license for 33 bucks which gives you AG 7 pro. I don't work for them, but I do believe in supporting a good product.

~bk if you keep getting infected then the virus must have some kind of entry to reinstall when you reboot or whatever. If housecall cannot clean it, it should have a link for more info on the virus (like this).. follow all the steps listed on that page.

@ Xie:I just scanned my computer again with McAfee.
It found a virus, I cleaned it. When I restarted the computer, it came back. :(

So I think I will run the housecall virus check again.

@ j79zlr: I will download that program ASAP.

I scanned my computer will the program that j79zlr recommended. It found 2 infected files and it deleted them.

After that, I scanned my computer again with Housecall and it didn't find any infected files.

What do I need to do now?

I'm getting this one again: C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
And it says again that McAfee is unable to connect to the update server.

Do you think I should uninstall McAfee and reinstall it?
Or should I just format my computer?

I think you should post a hijcak this log, its possible it is spyware that is harming you and thats why it isn't being found with your anti virus. Have you done a AdAware and/or Spybot scan?

My taskbar icons near the clock are running perfectly. I mean they aren't disappeating anymore. This is what I did.

- Scanned my computer again with AVG
- Scanned my computer with Ad-aware (Found 53 files and I deleted them)

Everything is running smooth now. But the only problem now I'm having is with McAfee. It still says that it is unable to connect to the update server. And I am getting Qhosts.abd virus alert everytime I restart or start my computer.

I've cleaned/deleted that file everytime but it comes back. So what do I do with it? Any ideas?

What about startup items, anything suspicious? Really, you should post a Hijack this log.

Nope, everything is perfect now. Just having problems with McAfee. What if I reinstall it?

And yeah, how do you post a Hijack for a log?

OK this is weird. McAfee can connect to the update server now. I think it's that Qhost.abd that's causing the problem. I think after deleting it, McAfee is able to connect to the update server.

Hmm...

And what the heck are these (.exe files)? These are in my C drive.

What do I do with that? Install it?

I installed it and did a scan. Deleted the files which I think were viruses.

So I think it's actually a Trojan because those funky type .exe files are coming back. :(

Could you post the log for me to look at?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back