Maybe my new car... (He finally got it...)

Re: Maybe my new car .. I find out monday, hopefully.

Sazar said:
Did you accept and sign off on it?

Gawd, I hope he hadn't; cause if he did, he's sorta in a pickle. That signature represents a legal agreement. Challenging it after the fact, would be tough.

Johnny said:
I talked to a finance agent I know from a local dealership. She said that I can get financing. They are going to try and add on the cost of the car to the new loan. The thing that sucks about that is that it is going to raise the payments, I don't really know what I want to do right now though. She did tell me to call the insurance commission; she feels they ripped me off big time. I bought my car that got wrecked off of her. She knew what it looked like and insists that I should have got a lot more than that.

So, tomorrow I am calling the insurance commission and attorney general to have this taken care of. I also talked to an agent of another insurance company; some one I have known for a long time. She said that her insurance company would have given me Kelley Blue Book value plus tax and tags. That would have put it where I can put a couple of thousand down on a new and not be in the hole by a couple of thousand.

Johnny, there is no doubt about it. They're trying to screw you over. And forget this "we don't go by Kelley Blue Book, blah, blah, blah". Bullsh*t! When I graduated from high school, I was in the market for a used car. And some used car salesman tried to pull that crap on me.

He insisted on selling a car to me, for about $4 thousand to $5 thousand above Kelly Blue Book value. Oh, he tried to make the same argument about it just being blue book, and that doesn't matter. There's another book, so dealers can make a profit, blah, blah, blah.... Oh, and mind you, he was asking like 2x the value on the stupid thing... When I didn't bite, he was trying to say "oh because I'm such a nice guy, I'll take $2,600 off my asking price". At which point my father's thought was "well, if he can take that much off and still not take a loss on the thing, obviously he's trying to pull a fast one..."

Mind you, I was also getting financing through Sharonview Federal Credit Union. And financial institutions have their own people who are used to dealing with car sales, financing them, and the like. One hint at what he was asking, and the credit union politely suggested this dealer can go to hell :laugh: Mind you, this was even after he negotiated down a couple times to try to get me to bite...

I would suggest one more thing. After you report this guy, as both another insurance angent suggested and the dealer suggested, and after you get this all straightened out, don't transfer that policy onto the new car. Get your money for coverage, and transfer insurance to the company who your friend works for, who said they'd give you Blue Book value, or something.

Do this, as soon as you can, and before your previous insurance company tries to monkey around with your premiums to try to collect the money they could end up having to pay you. After this nonsense they pulled with you, they don't deserve to continue receiving your money, any longer then you are currently required to give them under your current contract with them. However, I wouldn't suggest you mess around until after you get payment, just in cast they try to create more problems because they already lost your business (even though you were covered by them at time of acident)...

And if your policy allows, after getting payed, get insurance elsewhere, and then terminate your policy with these people... I wouldn't tell them this is what you're thinking until after you get payed also... Perhaps the insurance agent you spoke with, you could be up front with her about this, and see what she thinks, both wrt your getting fair compensation, and also when would be the best time for you to transfer your policy either over there, or wherever you might want to send your business in lieu of your current insurance agency...

Last edited:

I didn't accept anything or sign anything. I called the insurance commission this morning. They told me that I have to send something to them in writing telling them how much the car is worth. They also told me that the state of PA has the use four sources to get the value, Kelly Blue Book is one of them. It will take a couple of weeks, but, I will get retail for this thing. They will not jip me like this ..

O.k, I files a notion with the insurance commission, and, I filed a law suit with the insurance company. I'll let you know how it goes with the progress. It might take a while, but it will be worth it.

Last edited:

Who is providing your legal advice?

He is a local lawyer sazar. Deals with insurance agencies and such all the time. So he knows how they work :)

So, you will get the value of the thing in the end, from the look of this, good... Too bad, you have to fight this though, coverage for needing a rental could help you for the time you're without car. However, at this point, you don't want to sign anything, as it would be a legal commitement, so good thing you didn't...

On that part, I've got full collission/comprehensive with Progressive now, and tacked rental car insurance on there when I found out one can. Saved me a bit too; as several years ago I was stopped at a red light, and this guy in a rather large jeep (vs. my smaller car) rear ended me. His words were, and I quote "I thought I saw movement up ahead, so let my foot off my break"... Umm, the car in front of me hadn't moved, and I couldn't have without hitting him. Bad reason to hit a stopped car, at a red light...

Wouldn't have done anything if his bumper hit mine, but it didn't, it hit the trunk and tail light instead (due to the height difference between a car and a jeep). I sent that through his insurance company, who payed without question, and mentioned I had rental coverage also. As such, they agreed to pay for my car rental, in addition to the repairs.

Oh, and he's good, a local lawyer can be the best option; given that state laws can varry one state to another. Good to have someone who knows local/state law...

Johnny said:
He is a local lawyer sazar. Deals with insurance agencies and such all the time. So he knows how they work :)

I just wanted to make sure you had someone covering your behind :)

Makes me feel better too.

Johnny,

Just remember like I posted before, it doesnt take a lwasuit, sometimes, like in my case, just the threat of one, and my lawyer friend didnt charge me anything, I was lucky, because my then girlfriend worked for him :D

Good luck either way :)

I hope you win the lawsuit if it does get that far, i hope it doesn't go that far and MLA is correct in saying that they don't want to go to court...
Im think that since its not Tens of thousands of dollars they will simply hand the check over, im also thinking that they might only split the difference without a fight..
-Jack

Thanx guys, This will work out in the long run. :)

Johnny said:
Thanx guys, This will work out in the long run. :)

Yes, but you have to sue for personal damages and stuff coz you wanted a new car monday, which was yesterday and you are now suffering mental anguish and stuff.

:smoker:

I didnt' think of that, sazar. I'll have to ask about it. Thanx dude . .

Johnny said:
I didnt' think of that, sazar. I'll have to ask about it. Thanx dude . .

thats actually correct ... common interest ... lawyer fees ... court fees ... loss of income .... your time spent digging and dealing with this **** ...ect ... all recoverable.

when i say common interest ... this is interest that anyone would lose/charge for a late payment on the agreed upon amount. i think depending on the state can be 2.5% / monthly

I talked to the insurance commission this morning, again. They said that they do not go by kelly blue book either. They did say that they go by the nada. So, if that is the case, then, I will not be getting what kelly says. It will be about a thousand less. But at least the car will still be payed off.

Here is the NDA site, it actually looks more accurate than kelly: http://www.nadaguides.com

The thing with that I do not understand is; if the dealers use NADA why is there all this talk about kelly??

Last edited:

Depends on where you live, as dealers either use Kelly or NADA. Living in California we resort to Kelly, but when we purchased a car the finance company we used was back East and using NADA. This is a Regional thing, you just have to figure out which book is used in your region.:(

Confusing?! Well it is insurance after all.

Well, I got retail value for it. There is one weight off my shoulder. Now to do something with the weight of getting a new one.

Last edited:

Sweet!
Thats awesome man
Congrats!
-Jack

Glad to hear it. Go get your Mazda3.

I must have missed something...
I thought you were getting a hyundai...
?Jack?

Oh, I thought he had mentioned something about getting a Mazda3. Perhaps I am confused by a thread somewhere else. Oh well.

Enjoy the Hyundai!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back